Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Matt, I am not sure what you mean by good cream leg bars? Many of us in Washington who are raising cream leg bar chicks received our stock about a year ago. If you are following the leg bar thread, you will know that the proposed breed standard came out only in the last few months. The stock that is readily available is no where near breed standard. I have had some issues with my original stock and have some from another breeder in Tennessee that hopefully will help improve what I have. I know that others in the area are in the same situation.

Raincreek, a hatchery in the port orchard area expects to have chicks for sale next year.

I hope this answers your question.

Carol
I have read the proposed APA breed standard, even sent my dues in to join the club. It is really only an Americanization of the British standard, so "good" would be measured against it. Just looking for something that actually has crests, is close to the right size, and is actually cream, not silver or gold. Ya know, something that is easily identifiable as the actual breed it's supposed to be. I typically don't work with non-standard breeds or varieties, but since they're begun the process, and I find them more appealing than the other blue egg laying breeds (I've done my time with Ameracaunas, and really would rather not mess with lethal genes in the Aracauna, didn't like it when I was raising Japs) it'd be fun to be there for almost the entire process of standardization. The reason for asking local is I really would rather not mess with shipping eggs (especially at the outlandish prices I've seen) or chicks (ditto).

What issues have you had with your stock out of curiosity? As someone who's seriously looking at the breed but hasn't acquired stock yet I'd be curious to know more...

Hi Yakima! I'm in Moses Lake, kind of a neighbor. I hope your temps are warmer than ours this morning. I know what you mean about getting sick of changing water for the birds. I'm taking care of turkeys and ducks this year as well as 6 hens. The turkeys and ducks are new to me. Take care!

Photo of Blueberry & her chicks this morning (one of the EEs is hiding under mama!)
love.gif

thats a first... I will have to make sure and tell my dog and my friends dogs to stop being calm when they wear their shirts during a storm, as they do nothing for them. and last time I bred any dogs they were not mounted by the ribs and chest... Thunder shirts do work for many dogs, you can even just use your own t shirt, the concept is the same as swaddling a baby. for some its a secure feeling.
I agree.....My Border Collies wear thundershirts.....Nan used to try to break thru the plate glass window in fear. Now she sleeps next to me with her Tshirt on.....works on all of my dogs and I loved it so much I became a dealer....they back their products. Fourth of July with the fireworks, it has helped them a lot as the neighbors love to lite of M80 etc.....you have to make sure it is TIGHT.....

Hello and Welcome,

I live in Redmond too. It's nice to see someone else from my area. If you live next to the same protected Orestes that I live next to, we really are neighbors. I live on the top of the watershed near Redmond ridge.

Too funny, yes, we likely really are neighbors! We just moved in last October and haven't met most of the neighbors yet. :) I hear several roosters crowing in different directions, so I know I've got chicken-neighbors around...

I have read the proposed APA breed standard, even sent my dues in to join the club.  It is really only an Americanization of the British standard, so "good" would be measured against it.  Just looking for something that actually has crests, is close to the right size, and is actually cream, not silver or gold.  Ya know, something that is easily identifiable as the actual breed it's supposed to be.  I typically don't work with non-standard breeds or varieties, but since they're begun the process, and I find them more appealing than the other blue egg laying breeds (I've done my time with Ameracaunas, and really would rather not mess with lethal genes in the Aracauna, didn't like it when I was raising Japs) it'd be fun to be there for almost the entire process of standardization.  The reason for asking local is I really would rather not mess with shipping eggs (especially at the outlandish prices I've seen) or chicks (ditto).

What issues have you had with your stock out of curiosity? As someone who's seriously looking at the breed but hasn't acquired stock yet I'd be curious to know more...

I am a complete amateur, don't claim to be any kind expert and am raising for my own pleasure.

I had mine shipped last year in early March before there was much knowledge They were supposed to look like. Of my initial 6, one hen was cream, one gold and one brown. 1 rooster was eaten by an eagle and the other 2 died, one from a tumor and the other had endocrine problems. I have some off spring with a nice rooster who is lighter with a good tail angle but still has too much gold and the other (leaving Friday) is a scrappy looking boy with too much chestnut and a squirrel tail and is typical of most of the roosters out there. He gets to go to a friend who has CL crosses and needs a flock protector. The 2 pullets appear to have nice cream hackles.

On the positive, the boys have straight combs, they all have crests. They are fairly compact and don't eat nearly as much as most of my other chickens. The eggs are as big as those laid by the Marans and most of them are a lovely blue color.

I am watching the young roosters closely to see if they develop similar problems as the original boys.

I got some hatching eggs from Rinda, the secretary of the club and have some 1 week old chicks with a variety of down colors. I am going to track them and see how they grow out.

There is a lot of work being done to improve the breed. I think in 6 months to a year, we will see some beautiful birds developing.

It seems to be a real problem keeping the gold out of them (admittedly the gold birds are stunning) from what I'm reading. And in the stock I am looking at I keep seeing hens with almost no crest too. Fascinating breed really. Thanks for your comments it's much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom