Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: You may be right Carolyn (if he's a feedstore bird), BUT, he could be a true Am if he was crossed from different colours, thus producing the "Splash" coloration he has. From my understanding, splash is crossed with black to produce blue. While recessive white is the diluting gene reducing black to blue. So you need splash to produce blue (which doesn't breed true).

If I'm wrong about the genetics, I'm sure someone will correct me - Chickielady and I think Stumpfarmer have Splash cocks for breeding blues.

Quote: You may be right Carolyn (if he's a feedstore bird), BUT, he could be a true Am if he was crossed from different colours, thus producing the "Splash" coloration he has. From my understanding, splash is crossed with black to produce blue. While recessive white is the diluting gene reducing black to blue. So you need splash to produce blue (which doesn't breed true).

If I'm wrong about the genetics, I'm sure someone will correct me - Chickielady and I think Stumpfarmer have Splash cocks for breeding blues.

Black x Blue=50% Black, 50% Blue
Blue x Blue=50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
Splash x Blue=50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash x Splash=100% Splash
Splash x Black=100% Blue
Black x Black=100% Black

What a pretty boy! Looking at his colors I think you have an Easter Egger rather than an Ameraucana. There is so much confusion about these two, many people never realize there is even a difference. But to put is simply, an Easter Egger is the result of crossing an Ameraucana with any other breed. Like crossing a pure Lab with something similar. The pup may look very much like a Lab, but it's a cross. Coloration is one of the fastest way to identify a cross, i.e. an Easter Egger. The 8 "accepted" colors for Ameraucanas are: Black, White, Blue, Buff, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, and Silver. For a hen, the egg color also provides a clue. Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. If it's green, pink, etc. it's because it's a cross breed, thus an EE. Most chicks sold at feed stores are actually EEs, regardless of what the label on the pen says. I'd like to suggest that when you advertise this gorgeous boy, that you call him an Easter Egger and help the world recognize and understand the difference. EEs are beautiful birds and deserve being called by their correct name. You can learn more and see photos at the Ameraucana Breeders Club http://www.ameraucana.org
You may be right Carolyn (if he's a feedstore bird), BUT, he could be a true Am if he was crossed from different colours, thus producing the "Splash" coloration he has. From my understanding, splash is crossed with black to produce blue. While recessive white is the diluting gene reducing black to blue. So you need splash to produce blue (which doesn't breed true). If I'm wrong about the genetics, I'm sure someone will correct me - Chickielady and I think Stumpfarmer have Splash cocks for breeding blues.
Nope, that's 100% right. BBS genetics means that the probabilities are: Black+Black=all Black, Black+Blue=3/4 Black and 1/4 Blue Black+Splash=All Blue Blue+Blue= 1/4 Black 1/2Blue 1/4 Splash Blue+Splash= 1/4 Blue 3/4 Splash Splash+Splash= all Splash If I were more clever with BB formatting I'd do the punnett square which illustrates how it works; since it is precisely the same mixed dominance that produces Red, Roan, and White in Shorthorn cattle on which I once did a 4H demonstration all the way to the State level, I can do it in my sleep in 3D. It's why the chicks from Dave (Splash) and Bluebelle (Blue) turned out 3 Blue, 5 Splash (animals are not machines, every clutch of eggs is a random sample and will deviate from the probability by a standard amount, all that Statistics 101 jazz); the same proportion will obtain in the BLRW pen since Agnetha and Anni-Frid are Splash and Prince blue. It's also why when I looked out over the sea of red cows two years ago I thought "I need a Roan Bull" (or white, but the problem with that is white Shorthorn cattle, especially heifers, are prone to fertility and skin disease problems). And why, since I have a Quail Bd'A hen already, I chose to keep the Splash Quail cockerel rather than one of the Blue Quails (I did keep a Blue Quail female, because she's the one I jailbroke out of her egg and therefore I imprinted on her). The Blue Quail thing also demonstrates that pattern is inherited separate from the BBS color. In cattle, white pattern is inherited separate from RRW: I have a white-faced roan cow with a mysterious deep red spot on her nose out of a white cow and a Hereford bull. This is actually on the easy side of chicken genetics; the hard stuff is trying to breed Porcelein, oy.

Last edited:
That said, if it's going to be ninety by Tuesday, I have to build the shearing table and get Baaachus sheared posthaste.

Anybody want to come help me drive posts?

Last edited:

Black x Blue=50% Black, 50% Blue
Blue x Blue=50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
Splash x Blue=50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash x Splash=100% Splash
Splash x Black=100% Blue
Black x Black=100% Black
It's definitely an EE. But a very pretty boy!

Hi! I'm a new member from Bothell, Wa.

Hy Lyn... I apologize for forgetting to say HI! and WELCOME!
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Glad you're here. As you can see we all enjoy a good conversation!

And please say hello to pips&peeps, president of the Ameraucana Breeders Club, and our resident expert on the subjet:
It's an ee.

Thanks Jean, I was hoping you were "listening". :)

Oh holy sheesh... I just opened up the side of the hatching pen to give everybody a bit more room; will obviously have to do some design modifications before it's re-used, to say the least. So humid out there I had sweat rolling down into my eyes. Have to go out now and strip the plastic off the hoop house and spray all the structural parts with bleach so I can clean it, move it, recover it with washed plastic and put Malvina and her kids in, I hope by tomorrow night.

The usual assortment of impediments to speed: the hose end blew out and needed replaced, started to sort the remaining socks and can't find the laundry bags to wash them in. And I'll have to mend another hose end before I can wash the bleach water off the hoop house. And the ground is still too wet to hold posts for the shearing table.

Back
Top Bottom