Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi all! I hope you guys don't mind me throwing in a quick question - we're thinking about building the infamous garden coop and was wondering if anyone had any negative experiences regarding our damp climate on the western side of the state? I'm assuming it's ok but you know what they say about assuming.

Hi There & Welcome!
frow.gif
All questions are welcome and encouraged.
There are quite a few people that combine coops, runs, and chickens. Not sure exactly what you have in mind though, do you have examples or pictures of what you're considering?

Hey group! I just officially joined BYC but I already have a request for somebody in the Seattle area.
My farm rents incubators and I have one that will be in Seattle around the 20th of April. It is being rented by a teacher who is trying to share the experience with her classroom. Apparently she works in a poor part of the city and it seems like she is really trying to do something nice for her "kiddos". She is getting a small incubator, the Brinsea advanced, so she would only need 7 fertile eggs. Can anyone recommend where she could get these for cheap or maybe free? I have been donating eggs to local schools for years but the cost of shipping and a heat pack is almost $20. Since she is not picky about breeds, she should be able to get local eggs for less.
Thanks for reading my post!
Alexander Magnuson
Twin Cedar Farm

Hey group! I just officially joined BYC but I already have a request for somebody in the Seattle area.
My farm rents incubators and I have one that will be in Seattle around the 20th of April. It is being rented by a teacher who is trying to share the experience with her classroom. Apparently she works in a poor part of the city and it seems like she is really trying to do something nice for her "kiddos". She is getting a small incubator, the Brinsea advanced, so she would only need 7 fertile eggs. Can anyone recommend where she could get these for cheap or maybe free? I have been donating eggs to local schools for years but the cost of shipping and a heat pack is almost $20. Since she is not picky about breeds, she should be able to get local eggs for less.
Thanks for reading my post!
Alexander Magnuson
Twin Cedar Farm

Hi.
frow.gif

Can you have her post here please so we can get more specifics as to location. Seattle is pretty spread out.

Hi There & Welcome!
frow.gif
All questions are welcome and encouraged.
There are quite a few people that combine coops, runs, and chickens. Not sure exactly what you have in mind though, do you have examples or pictures of what you're considering?

The garden coop from http://www.thegardencoop.com
I think it'll be fine - there are generous overhangs to keep out most of the rain. But thought it's best to ask from anyone who has been there done that :)

The garden coop from http://www.thegardencoop.com I think it'll be fine - there are generous overhangs to keep out most of the rain. But thought it's best to ask from anyone who has been there done that :)
Rain doesn't hurt chickens. They like to get under cover for heavy downpours and hail like anyone else, but are happy foraging in lighter rain. That structure looks ok as long as you only keep 2-3 chickens in it and clean it daily. 6-8 if the door is left open so they can free range during the day.

I have a hen that rejected some of the chicks I gave her. They were fine the first day, the second day she decided she didn't want those two near her.

So I have two California Greys that I really don't want inside. They are from the feed store and supposed to be sexed pullets. They will lay white eggs. They are free to anyone who would like to come get them. I can meet some of the way. I'm in Graham.

I have a hen that rejected some of the chicks I gave her. They were fine the first day, the second day she decided she didn't want those two near her.

So I have two California Greys that I really don't want inside. They are from the feed store and supposed to be sexed pullets. They will lay white eggs. They are free to anyone who would like to come get them. I can meet some of the way. I'm in Graham.
Anyway we could meet somewhere? I'd need to set up a second brooder but I have a chick addictions :)
How far are you from north tacoma (trying to figure out if it would cost more to go buy chicks from the feedstore or to go get the free ones from you if still available)

Thanks for the responses so far. I am really hoping to help this teacher out. She lives in southern Seattle, near Renton. Any nearby Backyarders that can help her with some fertile eggs? Breed is not important...
Thanks!
Alexander

Back
Top Bottom