Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I found the Pastured Poultry Producers web site with a seminar/workshop in Vancouver. Hmmm. Sounds interesting.

http://apppa.org/blog
Pastured Turkey Production in Washington
Posted 7/7/2014 8:31pm by Mike Badger.
Join the American Pastured Poultry Producers Association (APPPA) and Jonathan Coulimore for an intensive learning workshop on pastured turkey production in Vancouver, Washington. Recent research shows that turkey consumption is a growing segment of the specialty poultry industry totalling $7.1 billion in 2012.

When: September 20, 2014
Where: Vancouver, Washington

Topics will include:

An overview of pastured turkey production.
Hands-on turkey processing lead by Jonathan Coulimore. Attendees will have the opportunity to gain hands-on processing experience from slaughter to evisceration to chilling.
Jeff Mattocks will lead a pastured poultry health and nutrition presentation to help producers maximize the health of their turkeys and their profits.
Questions and answers.

Mostly on nonpoultry topics. But may be useful to some.

http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/small-farm-school

Saturday September 6, 2014

8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Clairmont Hall, Clackamas Community College, Oregon City, Oregon.

Adults: $65
Youth: $40

Small Farm School is a full day event with hands on and classroom workshops for beginning farmer and small acreage rural landowners. Join us the first Saturday of September at Clackamas Community College.
Field and classroom workshops include pig and poultry management, fruit and vegetable production, soil management, tractor safety and operation, on farm veterinary care and much more.

Second raccoon attack in only 3 days now this time he ripped open a part of the coop that was closed with bug screen then and got away with my 2nd best egg laying hen.  I need to bait my trap better (I didn't re-bait it last night).  My dad told me that raw beef is as good as you can get for drawing a raccoon in.  I was planning to put some sweet and sour chicken pieces out in the trap - should i do both or just beef?  Anyone else have experience trapping them?

Info on raccoons. http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/Raccoons.asp

@catface a heated water dish is something I don't yet have. Ill have to get one. how much food does a chicken generally eat per day? is it one cup per chicken per day?is it 2 cups per chicken per day?
I'm feeding 17 large chickens and they eat about 1.5 pound of pellets per day. They also get two large bowls of vegetables, fruit, bread etc. plus about 6 hours of free ranging per day. They used to be able to free range all day and I notice they hardy ate any pellets then. A 40 pound bag of feed last me almost a month. They also get about 1 pound of whole oats in the afternoon as a treat.

If I do the math, it comes out to about 3 pounds of feed per chicken per month.

We also live in the foothills at about 1000 foot elevation. The chickens have a water heater, but I don't use a heat lamp since I truly believe they are a fire hazard. This is also my first winter with chickens, but they have a fully enclosed horse stall with an insulated hen house inside the stall. My chicks will hopefully be at least 5 months old before it gets really cold, so I think everyone will be able to keep each other warm. It has already been getting unusually cold at night (and its only August) so I'm worried this winter is going to be a survival test.

@Rainier my neighbors are doing something similar with their chickens except for the free range part. So far the only table scraps I have fed my hens are leftover rice and scramble eggs, and some mashed apples from my apple tree. I like the idea of giving them hot oatmeal during the winter. since I enjoy eating oatmeal in the winter I'm probably going to make extra for them to.
Thank you!
I just built some tread feeders that the chickens learn to use really easily. in only the first week that we started using them we cut our feed bill in half.also made all the little birds go away n stop pooping on everything in the barn.you can find the plans on line under tread chicken feeders.if I can make them work anyone can.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I have four chickens in a chicken coop. 1 layer, 3 pullets. this is my first experience with chickens and this will be our first winter in Washington State. Im at the 1500 foot level generally mild winters but we have had cold nights dipped in the teens and two winters with more than 2 feet of snow. I'm thinking about getting one of those army cotton tent cloths to drape entirely over the chicken coop. I do have a heat lamp too. Im not really sure what more I can do to winterize. Your suggestions are welcomed.

Welcome! And yes this is a very good place to ask all your questions.
smile.png
It's great that you're thinking ahead so you won't be caught unprepared!

If this is your first winter in Washington, are you quoting historical info. for you neighborhood? Your ID says you're in Seattle so it's a little confusing. BUT......
Please be very careful about covering your coop entirely with anything. Even in the winter they need PLENTY of ventilation. LOTS. Without plenty of ventilation humidity and ammonia will build up inside the coop and cause respiratory sicknesses. It's best to avoid drafts blowing through on the floor or directly on the birds, so it's good to put screened vents near the top, under the eaves.

If you have sturdy breeds (RIRs are one example) they are incredibly hardy and will withstand just about anything Western Wash. can throw at them if they are in a dry, well ventilated, non-drafty coop. Breeds with very large combs are generally better suited for warm climates; their combs are more susceptible to frostbite. Breeds with smaller combs are less vulnerable. Chickens' feathers provide a lot more insulation than most people realize. Think of all the birds we see flying around in the winter. They don't even have a coop and survive very well. Keeping their coop cozy warm during the night and then sending them into the fresh cold air during the day isn't doing them any favors. But, if you feel you must use a heat lamp so that YOU will sleep better at night, be ABSOLUTELY sure you get a fixture with a CERAMIC fitting that is rated for the extreme wattage of a heat lamp. MANY birds are lost each year because of fires started by improper wiring and undersized light fixtures.

Whichever route you take, have a great time watching your birds in their first snow. It's lots of fun.

Last edited:
I have a HUGE muscovy drake that I am needing to get rid of. I slaughtered 2 drakes a couple weekends ago, but wasn't sure on this one. As soon as they were gone, he started hissing! I don't want to go through the whole process emotionally again, so I'd like to get rid of him (and I'm sure whoever takes him will eat him, he is HUGE). I'd love to trade for 2 females (I'll supplement cash), preferably white. This is him about a month ago, he has since filled out quite a lot. He's right around the 15 week range, so no testosterone flavor yet. Fed Scratch & Peck, "free ranged" in the yard 1-2x per week and always eating organic garden scraps, like Kale, pea vines, etc.

Hi I'm new here and I have a three week old bobwhite quail and would like to get another is anybody selling any or anyone in washington? If not, does anybody know what other birds could love with him.l?

Back
Top Bottom