Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I'm thinking you're going to have a lot of poop land in those nest boxes. I would prefer a foot. And remember that they will roost on the highest point so you may get some that prefer the top of the nest boxes or even the front lip as it *appears* to be the the same height as the roost. (But the pic may not be accurate in that respect.)

What are you getting CL?

And to answer a question from earlier.... I do spend time with the RIR littles and they will eat out of my hand, but they are quite timid. They certainly know the sound of scratch being shaken in its container and are quick to come running, but just as quick to spook at the slightest movement. Silly things. I've heard other people say they have chickens that don't like squash, or fruit, or this or that. These are the first I've had that are that way too. Scratch yes, fruit & veggies no way. I assume they'll get on board when they're in with the hens next month.
Well, what have I already gotten ?
Sulmtalers and more bielefelders...so far.........
big_smile.png

Well what do you know..... Even after momma got confused (my fault, really) on which nest she was supposed to be on and let the clutch get cold twice, we have chicks hatching!
wee.gif

Last night we had 1 Marans out. Peeping but not too active.

This morning the first Marans was dead
hit.gif

But.... We added 1 more Marans which was healthy and scared to death of the "HUGE HAND FROM THE SKY"/
1 Ameraucana just hatched and looking OK
1 Ameraucana egg pipped
1 Olive egger egg pipped

2 more Marans eggs dormant
fl.gif

wee.gif
Keep the babies warm !
This weather is so darn cold !

Thank you! I remeasured and they are 13" in front of and slightly above the lip of the nest boxes. They are easily moved so that may happen soon.
Sounds like you are on the right track, and I think CarolynF is looking at your roof trusses & thought they were your roosts.
Easy mistake to make, given the roof is off & the pic was sideways ..
wink.png

My birds can walk from the nesting box right onto their roosts. I haven't had any issues. Only broodies give me trouble because they ALWAYS pick the favorite nest box.
We had NPIP here today, and since we still have your 2 boyz here, they were tested too.
They had P/T testing, and AI, and they passed with flying colors..
I really like the little red headed man, a partridge you told me.
He is so sweet he practically just sleeps in my arms.

But the little Blue Napolean is a force to reckin with !
he even teases the big cocks through the wire fence !
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom