Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I was unaware that Del's had a six chick minimum. I guess that's cause I went there with that amount of chicks in mind and had to stop myself from buying more. I guess we're set for the moment and I'll have to be content with these gals as our default learning flock. We read that hen or chickens can live out their lives, if allowed, to be at least ten years old.

I was unaware that Del's had a six chick minimum. I guess that's cause I went there with that amount of chicks in mind and had to stop myself from buying more. I guess we're set for the moment and I'll have to be content with these gals as our default learning flock. We read that hen or chickens can live out their lives, if allowed, to be at least ten years old.

Yeah I went to the one I normally go to hoping they would bend the rules just a little but they couldn't. It's alright though, they are running around like crazy chicks and when the time comes I'll find them new homes. Right now I'm trying to come up with a plan for a coop I can hopefully move when that time comes.

Thought I would mention that we're planning a good size hatch of Lavender Orpingtons, Standard Blue Cochins, Bantam BBS Cochin/Frizzles - we're doing a fairly large hatch of each about 48 lavenders, 20+ of each Cochin type- we will be keeping a couple ourselves. They will hatch out next month- we're hoping for a fairly good hatch rate "crossing fingers" - must have my Frizzles lol- if anyone is interested in more info feel free to drop me a message - I hope to get them going tomorrow if not Friday at least-

I'm very interested in the Lav Orps. Please PM me if you have some you wish to part with :)

Dave

I just wrote this to lovely Karen at catdance silkie farms and want to share with my fellow washitonians so hopefully you don't have to experience the same heart break I have. I am veterinarian (doctor of veterinary medicine) who lives in Battle Ground WA, is fairly new to chickens (not including the years of coarses in chicken husbandry, diseases, etc.)

My latest issue is that I'm 99% sure I have Mareks in my flock. 4 out of 18 were suffering enough to euthanize over the last 2 weeks (non-responsive crop stasis in one, progressive leg paralysis in one, one lethargic and wouldn't thrive,and now one that is blind, and another that has a crooked neck...not wry neck) 4 of these were not vaccinated for Mareks and under 6 weeks of age while the other 4 mths old sizzles and Silkies are doing great, only 2 were vaccinated. I've been traumatized and despite my pain and the poor birds morbidity, I hope I can help convince others to make sure you acquire vaccinated chicks. I was naive and took advice that was incorrect whileI should've been seeking my colleagues advice all along.

I've spoken with 4 of the top poultry vets in the U.S. and Dr. Crestor at wsu in puyallup.
From now on before introducing any more birds they must've been vaccinated from a reputable Mareks vaccine within 24 hrs of hatch. My options are to hatch my own via incubator and vaccinate within 24 hrs (I don't have an incubator yet...not sure if I want one), let my own birds breed and raise their own...either vaccinate or let nature take its coarse with the strong ones building up their immunity, or get ones from a breeder that routinely vaccinates for Mareks with a reputable vaccine within 24 hrs.

I would very much love to have a couple more lavender silkies and bantam Americaunas but must be patient and wise to find or create only vaccinated chicks.

Best wishes to all the chicken peeps and learn from my experience please.

Thank you
Sincerely,
Dr. Cory Gadwood

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.. The blue color is fab, but I could do without those... extra bumps...
Those are called Caruncles, and alot of birds have them, including Muscovy Ducks.
The cool part about these turkeys is their caruncles ate yellow on blue, not red on red like muscovies or our turkeys.
I think they are cool !

Aw. I love how fluffy they are!
I think I accidentally just bid on a group of mixed banty eggs on ebay
hmm.png

If I'm not outbid by tomorrow I'm going to need an incubator....
gig.gif
I do that alot !
I am on restriction from ebay now...........................
hmm.png

I still want those Silver bantam Barnevelders though.........so much that it is on my mind alot, so much so that yesterday I told Einstein to take left over rice out & feed it to the barnevelders.
He walked right over to the Bielefelders.....and tossed the rice in .
He never said a word about it.
(We do not have Barnevelders)
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom