Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi there! I'm fairly new to BYC. Does anyone know of breeders of Ameraucana, black copper marans (that lay DARK eggs), or cream crested legbars in Washington? I live in Brush Prairie which is in southern Wa. Any leads would be appreciated! Thank you!
PM pips&peeps about the Ameraucanas.
Zgoatlady (Maple valley) had awesome Black Copper Marans....Sarah Merry also has Black Copper Marans, she is in Rochester.

Been getting into the 20s here the last few nights....My Big gorgeous Bielefelder Cock looks a bit frost bit this morning...and not very happy...hope he is OK
The other 2 Biel cockerels are fine...everyone else seems OK.
Mr Beauregard, my awesome BIG French Silver Cuckoo Marans Cock is sporting a few black comb tips.....darn it.

I keep them locked in their coops when it is that cold, and do not let them out until it is a managaeble temperature, like 36.......
But it is so cold lately, that water is freezing IN THE COOPS...which rarely happens here !

And here i am gathering eggs again for the Sulmtalers and Lavender Orpingtons....I am so addicted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!! Stay warm peeps !!!

You may want to change the saying in your signature line to read:

"To raise chickens, you must think like a predator in order to keep them safe"
True words Chickielady! TRUE! I feel like I am completely aware of predators like never before since getting these chickens! I swear to you...we have lived here for SEVEN YEARS and I have NEVER seen a weasel...until yesterday! Seriously?!?! I wasn't near our coop, but now hypersensitive. My daughter and I both have alarms set on our phones now to shut the coop at 4pm...we set it earlier so we would get there in time. We do have our dog out with the girls during the day and he HATES rodent type animals and has treed coons in the past so I hope this helps. Unfortunately where we are I can't put up an outside covered run, or run of any kind. I'm lucky we have a very secure 8x17 coop that they are in. We run a Christian camp so it's really not our property.

I found Union Hills in California with Biels so I will probably get from Heidi this time. But later I would like to add unrelated off spring.

How do you like your Biels?

Last edited:
True words Chickielady! TRUE! I feel like I am completely aware of predators like never before since getting these chickens! I swear to you...we have lived here for SEVEN YEARS and I have NEVER seen a weasel...until yesterday! Seriously?!?! I wasn't near our coop, but now hypersensitive. My daughter and I both have alarms set on our phones now to shut the coop at 4pm...we set it earlier so we would get there in time. We do have our dog out with the girls during the day and he HATES rodent type animals and has treed coons in the past so I hope this helps. Unfortunately where we are I can't put up an outside covered run, or run of any kind. I'm lucky we have a very secure 8x17 coop that they are in. We run a Christian camp so it's really not our property.

I found Union Hills in California with Biels so I will probably get from Heidi this time. But later I would like to add unrelated off spring.

How do you like your Biels?
The Biels are OK, most lay pretty well. They are incredibly stupid chickens, seriously. Some lines are far dumber than others, though. The first import having been the stupider...as some say.
I have both lines, and so far as I can tell, both are pretty stupid, making up new & exciting ways to commit suicide on a daily bases. They are dull birds,kind of standing around staring.... and do not seem to be very good at scrounging up any free range food for themselves, but rather standing around waiting for me to feed them.
I am not thrilled with them at all.

The birds are I am falling deeply for, are the Sulmtalers. They are gorgeous, and developed dual purpose. They lay extremely well, albeit not monster jumbo eggs like the biels. But the Biels do not lay a jumbo egg everyday, either, so it is even there.
The Sulmtalers are really smart...and forage really well. They are cheerful birds, too...very happy & talkitive all the time.
I have quite a big flock of Biels...and will be selling eggs come late february, and chicks too, if ordered.
But I am mainly working on increasing my Sulmtalers flock.

I have no idea what a Biel chicken is, but I laughed at your review of them. You might be able to sell a few more if you would lie a little bit about them though :) :) you're not so glowing review probably won't make some people happy. But I guess everybody has their favorite breed. It is kind of too bad that they are stupid however, makes you wonder if they were bred for looks instead of function. But I guess that's something us humans have done with many animals.
I'm pretty new at having chickens so I just have your basic normal every day breeds but as I gain more experience I keep finding new ones that I would like to have. But I will only get ones that are good for this area and don't need heat or light for winter. I'm going to go look up those types of chickens now.

The Biels are OK, most lay pretty well. They are incredibly stupid chickens, seriously. Some lines are far dumber than others, though. The first import having been the stupider...as some say.
I have both lines, and so far as I can tell, both are pretty stupid, making up new & exciting ways to commit suicide on a daily bases. They are dull birds,kind of standing around staring.... and do not seem to be very good at scrounging up any free range food for themselves, but rather standing around waiting for me to feed them.

The birds are I am falling deeply for, are the Sulmtalers. They are gorgeous, and developed dual purpose. They lay extremely well, albeit not monster jumbo eggs like the biels. But the Biels do not lay a jumbo egg everyday, either, so it is even there.
The Sulmtalers are really smart...and forage really well. They are cheerful birds, too...very happy & talkitive all the time.
I have quite a big flock of Biels...and will be selling eggs come late february, and chicks too, if ordered.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or didn't you post recently about how you loved your Biels? Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I had been thinking I wanted to get some.

ChickieLady,
You REALLY need to stop insulting your Bielefelders. It's like low self esteem that is plaguing them! They hear what you are saying!

My Biels are friendly, calm, and adventurous. I admit they can be chow hounds- but after all- how does one feed those big, gorgeous bodies? Mine were laying 6 eggs a week, like my white leghorns, until a few weeks ago when they decided to take their first break. (they laid all the the first winter, when no one else was laying!).

It's a good thing we've incorporated some of my Bielefelder brains into your batch (wink, wink!), but they are never going to amount to anything if you don't start giving them some self esteem. Praise those big beautiful egg layers!

if you don't stop , I might have to come over there and give your Biels some counseling one day !

RainMom
Chicken social worker

Back
Top Bottom