Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Bantam versions of dual-purpose/layer breeds would be nice, or maybe a small standard laying breed. All the bantams I've seen have been cochins, silkies, or OEGB (we picked up a couple!), and I'd like a useful kind of little chicken (if those exist!). BF wants also a "cool looking" and preferably blue but not weird (silkies, frizzles, turkens :rolleyes: ) bird. Kinda specific but also pretty vague, but we're still pretty new to chickens and doing research.

There are bantam sized Orpingtons but like anything miniature the original breed was crossed with a small breed to make them smaller (like toy sized dogs) so you do change the original breed characteristics a bit during downsizing.

Hi. We just moved here from CA late last year and have been staying with friends while we go through the home loan process. Unfortunately it has taken too long and they're asking us to be out in a month. It's going to be impossible for me to find somewhere that will take us with our cats and dog, let alone 3 little hens. I have 1 sultan, 1 bcw polish, and 1 silkie. I just bought them the cutest little coop too. I'm reaching out to my fellow chicken lovers in hope that someone can take them in while we continue this home loan process. My daughter and I (she's 6) are very very attached. If possible we would like to visit them sometimes. I can provide their food and $20 a month, which is negotiable. (we're very broke atm with this house process). We're looking to move into yelm/lacey but can travel to surrounding areas. If there is somewhere else I can post this please let me know.

P.S. they just started laying
we are down Mossyrock way or we could but quite a drive if your looking
in yelm or lacey

We're open to any options at the moment but have a few weeks to find them a place to stay. In the meantime we're looking for somewhere that will rent to us with them but its unlikely. =[

Bantam versions of dual-purpose/layer breeds would be nice, or maybe a small standard laying breed. All the bantams I've seen have been cochins, silkies, or OEGB (we picked up a couple!), and I'd like a useful kind of little chicken (if those exist!). BF wants also a "cool looking" and preferably blue but not weird (silkies, frizzles, turkens
roll.png
) bird. Kinda specific but also pretty vague, but we're still pretty new to chickens and doing research.
Hey there!

I am going to be hatching some U of A blues(smaller standard breed) crossed to Leghorn/Ameraucana project birds. I may have more blues than I plan to keep because of how many are developing right now. They'd be straight run though so mix of boys and girls. They will all be blue egg layers.

Hey there!

I am going to be hatching some U of A blues(smaller standard breed) crossed to Leghorn/Ameraucana project birds. I may have more blues than I plan to keep because of how many are developing right now. They'd be straight run though so mix of boys and girls. They will all be blue egg layers.

You're the devil I say! I so wish I could have more!
smile.png

Hiya, are there any (non-feather footed) general breeders in Western Washington? Most places I've found selling birds have been the feed stores (I assume they are from hatcheries?). I've found a few juvenile birds for sale here and there on craigslist, but haven't been able to find actual breeder websites or anything like that. I remember seeing quite a few varieties at the State Fair last year, but maybe they were mail orders? Just trying to get an idea of what local birds are out there.

Hello and Welcome to the group.
There are a lot of good breeders in W. Washington. You might want to attend the poultry show in Chehalis in June, at the Fairgrounds. It's being put on by the Washington Feather Fanciers club. You'll be able to see what's popular in our area and meet the breeders. There are usually hatching eggs and chicks available for sale, if you get there early before they're all sold.

If you're looking for specific breeds, ask and we can also point you in the right direction. And, yes, you're right in your observation that many people selling their own birds are hatchery lines.

ETA: I saw your last post (I'm behind on my reading) and see you're interested in Bantams. Are you looking for thrifty-ness or just wanting something small? The idea of a dual purpose Bantam at cross purposes to me, but whatever floats your boat. :)

Check out Erhard in Black Diamond. Super nice guy. I can give you a phone number if you PM me.
But DO NOT go to his webpage right now. I was going to post the web address but it's been hacked. Very naughty adult pics instead of gorgeous chickens.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333]Hi. We just moved here from CA late last year and have been staying with friends while we go through the home loan process. Unfortunately it has taken too long and they're asking us to be out in a month. It's going to be impossible for me to find somewhere that will take us with our cats and dog, let alone 3 little hens. I have 1 sultan, 1 bcw polish, and 1 silkie. I just bought them the cutest little coop too. I'm reaching out to my fellow chicken lovers in hope that someone can take them in while we continue this home loan process. My daughter and I (she's 6) are very very attached. If possible we would like to visit them sometimes. I can provide their food and $20 a month, which is negotiable. (we're very broke atm with this house process). We're looking to move into yelm/lacey but can travel to surrounding areas. If there is somewhere else I can post this please let me know.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]P.S. they just started laying[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
I don't know why people are so harsh about renting to people with animals. Goodness, people with animals are way more awesomer than people who don't want animals!!
1f60a.png
1f607.png
. We have renters right now with an elderly golden retriever. Just based on the size of their dog no one would rent to them! Their loss...we have excellent tenants that have never paid late on rent and take excellent care of our home. Wish you were closer...I would've been glad to help!

Ooooh too late I went to his website.
ep.gif
I'm glad you said that because I thought it was a problem on my end! No problem on my phone viewing it, oddly. A Bantam Australorp sounds pretty amazing.

June would be the perfect time as that's when our current babies will be well into the coop (if we ever finish it...) and we'll be vacationed enough from messy 'brooder in living room' shenanigans to think having more chicks is a good idea.

I think bantams are adorable and sized a bit better for suburban living. Maybe also a little bit scared of the larger standard breeds (oh man, we saw a this enormous Wyandotte on a farm that seemed like a feathered T-rex), or at least the size of their poops. But I would like at least semi-regular egg-laying because I love eggs and as bribes to keep our neighbors happy. So I was thinking of useful but still cute bantams/smaller breeds! Probably not for eating unless there's a particularly mean one.

Hey there!

Your birds are gorgeous! I'm a newbie and haven't heard of that breed before. Is it University of...? I love different colored eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom