Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi everybody! I haven't been on here in MONTHS!! About 3 months ago my Chocolate Orpinton went broody and just wouldn't quit. Finally (after 2 months of this) I got some fertile eggs from a friend. Bantams...what did Big Mamma the Choc. Orp adopt!? They have feathered feet!

This last one just hatched on my lap. It has black legs and feet.
Also...being that I'm a rookie broody hen owner...do I need to protect these littles from the rest of the flock or will Big Mamma do it?

Hi everybody! I haven't been on here in MONTHS!! About 3 months ago my Chocolate Orpinton went broody and just wouldn't quit. Finally (after 2 months of this) I got some fertile eggs from a friend. Bantams...what did Big Mamma the Choc. Orp adopt!? They have feathered feet!

This last one just hatched on my lap. It has black legs and feet.
Also...being that I'm a rookie broody hen owner...do I need to protect these littles from the rest of the flock or will Big Mamma do it?
Mamma will take care of them. The adults should just ignore them for the most part, as long as the hen has had continual contact with the flock while brooding. If you separated her, don't put her in with the flock until she is done raising the babies. She'll have been gone too long, and will have to reestablish her place in the flock. She can't do that, and keep track of the little ones.

Yes, she has stayed in the pen with everyone but lost her top spot to an onery Araucana. That's the one I'm really worried about. She is really mean to Big Mamma whenever she gets out of the nesting box. Big Mamma so far has let her keep top spot and doesn't stick up for herself. So I'm worried about the babies because of "The Duchess".

Looks like I'll be having a fight at dark. She really thinks I'm going to let her be broody right there.

She is awful cute but not very safe outdoors I bet.. See the friend has a home lined up
for them and offered me a nice price for blue who is my avatar just now as I do change it
regular.. she intends to use him with her own hens.

Yes, she has stayed in the pen with everyone but lost her top spot to an onery Araucana. That's the one I'm really worried about. She is really mean to Big Mamma whenever she gets out of the nesting box. Big Mamma so far has let her keep top spot and doesn't stick up for herself. So I'm worried about the babies because of "The Duchess".

Mama should be able to take care of them fine since she never left the pen. I usually leave the broodies in with everyone else anymore. Makes integration a non-issue. None of my large fowl have had any problems.

At the most with the silkies I provide a separate little house and move mama over well before the eggs hatch. That has more to do with the fact I have a lot of silkies and there are always several broody at once. They will try and steal the new hatched babies and fight over them if there is more than one broody in the house the chicks hatch in. Once the little things are mobile, it isn't an issue anymore. Usually mama stays over separate for a day or two then moves her brood in with everyone else so that the babies have lots of warm bodies to sleep under.

I've learned recently that chicken do handle infections around a wound differently than humans and many other animals. Their body will encase the infection and create a hard mass rather than puss. Bumble foot is an example of that. If that were mine I would soak with epsom salts an spray with vetericyn if you have it, repeating daily for a week and see if it clears up. Maybe encourage the scab to come off and heal on its own If it gets red or feverish open it up and treat like bumblefoot. Just my thoughts! I don't really like cutting and creating an open wound if I don't have too. Do more research. Best of luck with all that you have going on, I know it's a lot!
hugs.gif
Maybe I should have posted this picture along with the other one. So, the top of the foot looks like that, while the bottom of the foot looks like this. Maybe this will help clear up whether it is a corn or whatever it is. I checked my other hens and none of them have this "hole" on the bottom of their feet.

well putting our apple tree and a pear tree all to hood use treats for the
chickens one and all.. fresh blackberry cheesecake and blackberry pie for the humans

Back
Top Bottom