Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have 4 foot sections of white pvc I use as basically shepherds crooks to herd chickens. White is very visible to them. Move slow and don't rush them.

I have a white plastic kids hockey stick that are used to her chickens. I've never hit any of them with it but all I have to do is pick it up and walk towards them and they all march to the coop. If I don't have it it takes a little bit more work to get them headed in the right direction and stay that way.
I almost lost a baby chicken today. I went out after dark to make sure the chicken door was closed and Heard a chicken screeching. Somehow she had jumped up onto the window hinge and it closed on her. So she was sandwiched in there and couldn't get out. Scared me to death! I got her out and I think she's fine. I'm so glad I went out there to check.

I have a white plastic kids hockey stick that are used to her chickens. I've never hit any of them with it but all I have to do is pick it up and walk towards them and they all march to the coop. If I don't have it it takes a little bit more work to get them headed in the right direction and stay that way.
I almost lost a baby chicken today. I went out after dark to make sure the chicken door was closed and Heard a chicken screeching. Somehow she had jumped up onto the window hinge and it closed on her. So she was sandwiched in there and couldn't get out. Scared me to death! I got her out and I think she's fine. I'm so glad I went out there to check.

Oh! I'm glad you got her. How scary!

I'm going to start some kind of "training" program for mine! LOL This chasing them around in the dark is "for the birds"!

I have 4 foot sections of white pvc I use as basically shepherds crooks to herd chickens. White is very visible to them. Move slow and don't rush them.

That's a heart attack. Good thing you checked and good thing she yelled for help.

I don't hit them. They just see it well. The silkies head in if they see it. No herding required

Last edited:
I have a small rake the only one I ever used it on was blue when he came at me
I also had to use it in the mud it is a very small leaf rake so I can use it for balance in the mud

then what gives ? 13 eggs out of 18 birds
You've had some recent changes to the flock with adding and subtracting cockerels and chicks. Could be that a few got a bit too stressed to lay.
I've got 3 16-week-old cockerels that have been reeking havoc on egg production right now. Hogging feed, chasing hens, picking fights. They have got to go in the freezer.

Our Great Pyrenees mama is inside with her 12 pups so we can keep an eye on them and make sure they are all getting a chance to nurse. This is the second tome she got into my bird room and killed my chicks so I am starting over again! I just got a taller fence that I did not think she would climb over since she does not get over them outside but she went over this one while I was meeting with a quail buyer. I have been so careful about closing the door to the bird room even though it gets too hot with all the incubators running and the warmers for baby chicks.

Fortunately she did not get my chicks that hatched the past couple days, just the older chicks. She also left the stacks of eggs alone since they are in cartons but I also had clear eggs and quitters (due to warm weather and the door being closed) that I pulled out just before I left. Thankfully she left the incubators alone since they are all full of developing eggs. We are going to have to put her outside anytime someone is not home watching her. My husband was actually home taking a nap when she killed the chicks this time while I slept through it the first time.

Now I have to get a shower and change for a benefit auction at the wildlife rescue where I volunteer. I knew raising puppies was going to be expensive but I was not expecting to lose all my feed money too. My husband is not working so it is up to me to pay for everything.

Back
Top Bottom