Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Have they been vaccinated for anything? Are you NPIP? Are they true to type with beards, muffs, pea combs, slate legs, and laying true green (not muddy green or olive) eggs? I may be able to quarentine for 30 days before putting them under my rooster. How much are they?
Never vaccinated for anything, not NPIP. Have never had any illness in my flock at all, and I hope it stays that way.
Two are barred. Both are pea combed, muffed, and bearded. One is a confirmed layer of pale blue, the other lays pale green. Asking $15 for each.

Grandparents are these -

Father-

Mother is the hen on the left.

The other two are wild-type silver with barring. One has the melanotic gene. Eggs are spearmint green with flecks.

Father is the same as the two barred hens
Mother is a clean faced hen in her 3rd season of laying, and still lays daily.

Last edited:
Never vaccinated for anything, not NPIP. Have never had any illness in my flock at all, and I hope it stays that way. Two are barred. Both are pea combed, muffed, and bearded. One is a confirmed layer of pale blue, the other lays pale green. Asking $15 for each. Grandparents are these - Father- Mother is the hen on the left. The other two are wild-type silver with barring. One has the melanotic gene. Eggs are spearmint green with flecks. Father is the same as the two barred hens Mother is a clean faced hen in her 3rd season of laying, and still lays daily.
It is so tempting to take the risk on healthy unvaccinated birds but then I would not know what I was hatching. I have some really beautiful colored Easter Egger chicks hatching this year and I want to see how they come out. It seems silly to have a rooster for only 4 hens and technically I can't keep anything I hatch this year so I thought it might be possible to slip in an older bird as if it had been here all along, lol. I am not sure what I would get out of the hens so then I would have to raise their chicks out of curiosity. The benefits of hatching and raising chicks is getting to keep the best ones and now I can't do that because they would not be grandfathered. The silver ones would be my pick as I am not sure what the barred ones would give me.

The plus side of unvaccinated is that you can be sure they aren't carriers for anything nasty that vaccines can hide or mask.

Absolutely! I would not risk bringing in anything that has been vaccinated or exposed to vaccinated birds because they are carriers of disease. I could take the risk of opening my closed flock for unvaccinated birds from a healthy flock.

I had two hens from different breeding that I put under our Quechua rooster so see what I would get and it is tempting to add a couple more hens to put under him. I also have two of his daughters under him (one from each hen) but I would love to try some more unrelated hens to hatch chicks. I would have to raise them to know what to expect and once I invest in raising them I want to keep the best ones for myself.

What is the breeding in the silver hens? They look more yellow-legged and clean-faced than I want but I like their feather color and egg color. What is the melanotic gene?

Absolutely! I would not risk bringing in anything that has been vaccinated or exposed to vaccinated birds because they are carriers of disease. I could take the risk of opening my closed flock for unvaccinated birds from a healthy flock.

I had two hens from different breeding that I put under our Quechua rooster so see what I would get and it is tempting to add a couple more hens to put under him. I also have two of his daughters under him (one from each hen) but I would love to try some more unrelated hens to hatch chicks. I would have to raise them to know what to expect and once I invest in raising them I want to keep the best ones for myself.

What is the breeding in the silver hens? They look more yellow-legged and clean-faced than I want but I like their feather color and egg color. What is the melanotic gene?
Melanotic is what is responsible for black heads, like what you see in Lakenvelders and many Easter Eggers.
The silver hens have a clean-faced, Quechua type, hatchery Easter Egger hen for a mother. She's pure for blue egg shell and pure for pea comb, yellow skinned.

The father is my black sexlinked Easter Egger rooster. Grandfather is the red Easter Egger rooster that you liked the look of a few years ago.
The silver hens only have a single copy of the pea comb gene. I spent the winter hatching their eggs, so I'm pretty confident of that.
At least one of the barred hens is pure for pea comb, pure for muffs, and also has red base color under the extended black and barring.

Melanotic is what is responsible for black heads, like what you see in Lakenvelders and many Easter Eggers. The silver hens have a clean-faced, Quechua type, hatchery Easter Egger hen for a mother. She's pure for blue egg shell and pure for pea comb, yellow skinned. The father is my black sexlinked Easter Egger rooster. Grandfather is the red Easter Egger rooster that you liked the look of a few years ago. The silver hens only have a single copy of the pea comb gene. I spent the winter hatching their eggs, so I'm pretty confident of that. At least one of the barred hens is pure for pea comb, pure for muffs, and also has red base color under the extended black and barring.
I really like the Quechua type so he probably did catch my eye! I am trying to get the original Easter Egger back so the further they get from the original the less likely they are going to work for my project. I had some faults in some of the pullets I raised that made them undesirable to me so I need to keep a pretty narrow focus to get what I want even if I can't keep many for now. One day I will have a home where I am free to make my own choices without code restrictions.

First pip! This is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I have Sulmtalers in there too, from Chickielady!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom