Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My broody is taking her job seriously. This is her first time caring for chicks.

I can't believe I bought two more chicks (talked a neighbor into ordering overhatch Sunday chicks with me a week ago!) but now we have two blue splash marans to join the crowd later.

My chicken habit is out of control. I have some olive eggers I will need to rehome this summer to make room. We are at 28 right now. Yikes.

Attachments

• IMG_7803.jpeg
    IMG_7803.jpeg
    685.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7800.jpeg
    IMG_7800.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 3
Stupid me forgot to close the courtyard separation gate when I let two pens of silkies out today. Found that out when I just went out to close them up. The roosters were standing together in one pen. Neither has any marks of fighting. Guess that's proof of their calm dispositions. I know both threatened to beat up the young part silkie rooster through the fence because he's full of himself.

Mornin! There was low lying fog in the pre-dawn light at my place when I left for work. It was really beautiful - as was the commute in. I always think it's a shame that I can't take pictures of the pretty sunrise because I'm driving. Oh well.

Yay for new chicks! :) My two newest are growing like weeds. I had to put the hardware cloth over top of their box last night lest they start flying out on me.

Morning all! Last night when I was turning off part of the overhead lights (the ones directly over the brooder), I noticed the feeder was mostly empty. Since it was mostly pine shavings that they had kicked in, I dumped it and refilled it. They love the little dumped piles almost as much as when I soaked feed in water for them! This morning, 9 of the 14 are passed out where the food got dumped! They look like they partied too hard last night. 🤣 They’re in that “preteen” phase where they’re like half fluff and half little feathers…I kinda love it. Finally figured out which little white chick is my Delaware, she finally started to get feathers in the last couple of days! She had only a few white feathers coming in until then and no tail feathers! Everyone else had tail feathers last week. This grey chick is so interesting to me (her name is Lady Eggsalot, named by my 8 year old), I think she’s a splash? Originally I thought she might be a lavender Orpington, but now I doubt it. We have 1 chick with no name still…so far she’s all white, nothing super remarkable about her….I kind of want to name her after one of the raptors on Jurassic World, but have to get the okay from my kids. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• 817DE567-77FC-4889-A37F-7CE9148B44B3.jpeg
    817DE567-77FC-4889-A37F-7CE9148B44B3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • D356D144-48F7-4EDB-A84B-1DA2F6B1BD0E.jpeg
    D356D144-48F7-4EDB-A84B-1DA2F6B1BD0E.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 3
  • A38347E4-5FBD-4D34-87F6-356D178606A5.jpeg
    A38347E4-5FBD-4D34-87F6-356D178606A5.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 4
Morning all! Last night when I was turning off part of the overhead lights (the ones directly over the brooder), I noticed the feeder was mostly empty. Since it was mostly pine shavings that they had kicked in, I dumped it and refilled it. They love the little dumped piles almost as much as when I soaked feed in water for them! This morning, 9 of the 14 are passed out where the food got dumped! They look like they partied too hard last night. 🤣 They’re in that “preteen” phase where they’re like half fluff and half little feathers…I kinda love it. Finally figured out which little white chick is my Delaware, she finally started to get feathers in the last couple of days! She had only a few white feathers coming in until then and no tail feathers! Everyone else had tail feathers last week. This grey chick is so interesting to me (her name is Lady Eggsalot, named by my 8 year old), I think she’s a splash? Originally I thought she might be a lavender Orpington, but now I doubt it. We have 1 chick with no name still…so far she’s all white, nothing super remarkable about her….I kind of want to name her after one of the raptors on Jurassic World, but have to get the okay from my kids. 🤷🏻‍♀️
The grey one really does look like it could be a splash. I like it! I also love the chick that's perching on the heating pad, looking down at the other like "Wat doin'?" :p

The grey one really does look like it could be a splash. I like it! I also love the chick that's perching on the heating pad, looking down at the other like "Wat doin'?" :p
Yeah, I really need to get some roost bars in there! They fight over that spot, lol. Truth be told, that spot is directly below the heat lamp that I put in because the heat plate alone wasn't "enough" in the cold garage.

Back
Top Bottom