Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Good Morning Washington BYC Peeps :weeSince our nights up here are longer since we are now in winter for Washington. I Have a couple of questions that you all maybe able to help me with. We have a large chicken run that that our 4 girls use 19' x 10' x 8' tall we have put a tarp on the roof of the run and it comes down about halfway to the ground. But since we get so much rain its muddy in the run. We have straw and wood chips on the floor of the run to help with the mud. I try to keep it as dry as I can but still we have muddy floors. Is this Bad for our chickens??

Next question the Girls love to get out of the run of course but I am hesitant to let them free range in the rain, even the light rain. I get so worried about them.... when I do let them out in the misty rain they don't seam to mind the rain at all! And when it starts raining harder they do just run back to the chicken run or get under a bush but I still worried.

Any advise will be Much Appreciated if not for any other reason to just help my worried mind !!!!

Last edited:
I left the light on in the coop when I went out at 5:30am,,,
2 of the new brown leghorns(30weeks)
and the 2 red leghorns(29weeks)
arnt laying yet
View attachment 2916118

I have been using these nesting pads for 6 months, there "ok" but I think I might switch to the astro-turf squares -- I am still getting a broken egg a day (yes it gets eaten:he)
View attachment 2916120
I was getting broken eggs but I started using in the nesting box the paper from the the paper shredder and now I get cleaner eggs and less broken ones.

I was getting broken eggs but I started using in the nesting box the paper from the the paper shredder and now I get cleaner eggs and less broken ones.
The eggs have been a bit muddy due to the mud in the run, but the straw helped,
the eggs break when the hens dig to hard in the nesting pad and it exposes the bottom, I also think if there is an egg in the box and a hen gets to digging maybe they toss the egg around and it breaks,,,,,,
IMG_20211022_172923_HDR.jpg

Hey gang okay had those nesting pads. The rats stole them .. I use white shavings no floor in my coops..
We cover the food at night rats cannot get it. Neighbors have garbage sitting out so rats are hard to stop.

I put shavings in the boxes need to get it changed again.
Not broken eggs just now but poopy ones. Getting 13 a day.

Good Morning Washington BYC Peeps :weeSince our nights up here are longer since we are now in winter for Washington. I Have a couple of questions that you all maybe able to help me with. We have a large chicken run that that our 4 girls use 19' x 10' x 8' tall we have put a tarp on the roof of the run and it comes down about halfway to the ground. But since we get so much rain its muddy in the run. We have straw and wood chips on the floor of the run to help with the mud. I try to keep it as dry as I can but still we have muddy floors. Is this Bad for our chickens??

Next question the Girls love to get out of the run of course but I am hesitant to let them free range in the rain, even the light rain. I get so worried about them.... when I do let them out in the misty rain they don't seam to mind the rain at all! And when it starts raining harder they do just run back to the chicken run or get under a bush but I still worried.

Any advise will be Much Appreciated if not for any other reason to just help my worried mind !!!!

My large fowl will go in from heavier rain. Predators are why they end up locked up most of the time.

The silkies absolutely will not come in from the rain so they arent allowed out in it. They get soaked to the skin if given the chance.

I left the light on in the coop when I went out at 5:30am,,,
2 of the new brown leghorns(30weeks)
and the 2 red leghorns(29weeks)
arnt laying yet
View attachment 2916118

I have been using these nesting pads for 6 months, there "ok" but I think I might switch to the astro-turf squares -- I am still getting a broken egg a day (yes it gets eaten:he)
View attachment 2916120

As I said over on SS, I put down a lot of straw to keep mud away. My eggs are clean.

As for the excelsior pads, I use them for the base in the nest boxes and cover them with 4 inches of fine shavings. The girls do dig a little to make it more nest shaped and the pad can't be dug out. I have the wall mounted metal nest boxes that my girls prefer. There are some wooden nest boxes on the floor that certain ones prefer and broodies with chicks use. Those aren't as deep so just 2 inches of shavings.

Aright, okay what type of phone did you get ?
I feel we got cheated this time .. I went to the t mobile store said I wanted to follow sprint..
They assured me they could do that .. Have the Samsung 21? but 4g they gave us ...
Feel like the redhead stepchild :idunno
Not with sprint but t mobile

Back
Top Bottom