Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Spent the day with my 94 y.o. lady friend having lunch and playing games (she whooped me)...Hubby finished putting a larger roof over the coop and run, so their area will be drier, without the rain splashing in, or the melting snow dripping through the tarp. Next is to make and totally fence sides and top of a smaller outdoor run extended from their current one I will then be able to leave their door open. And add electric fencing for extra insurance. Possible across known coyote and raccoon trails to deter them? What do you think?

I have a question for the group. I have 3 tubs as nesting boxes that are currently blocked with lids. My hens have never laid, so I am going to keep the boxes closed until it is warm, so they don't try to sleep in the boxes. How do I know when it is time to open the boxes? I assume my hens will be old enough to lay in the beginning of spring. We picked the chicks up on 9/27/21.
Squatting was a big indicator with our ladies. Usually about two weeks before they started laying they would squat for us when we approached. If you're worried about sleeping in the nests you could also just block them off just before they go to roost at night. We never blocked ours and the girls were constantly checking them out in the months leading up to laying. Might be worth leaving them open and worrying only if you do have one who starts sleeping in there.

I'm still alive, no thanks to this attempt on my life by covid. Just the lingering crap because I'm severely asthmatic to deal with for who knows how long.
Glad you are recovering! Take it easy and take lots of naps. Never was a napper myself but found myself needing them for almost 9 months after my run in with covid.

Some of the girls' tail feathers are looking rather raggedy. Hope they'll get shiny, pretty new ones soon. They have lost some feathers here and there. Yup, the 4 had blowouts.
The tails get to me, attaching a photo of Marbu. Pitiful thing just started her molt this last week. I swear they are doing it one at a time in a relay race!

Can not go wrong with tots!
Cuz tots are the best!!

Attachments

• 20220117_113452.jpg
    20220117_113452.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 0
Spent the day with my 94 y.o. lady friend having lunch and playing games (she whooped me)...Hubby finished putting a larger roof over the coop and run, so their area will be drier, without the rain splashing in, or the melting snow dripping through the tarp. Next is to make and totally fence sides and top of a smaller outdoor run extended from their current one I will then be able to leave their door open. And add electric fencing for extra insurance. Possible across known coyote and raccoon trails to deter them? What do you think?
We are in coyote/raccoonville ! We must be neighbors! :gig We put 6 foot field fencing with hardware cloth dug in along the bottom, then a single hot wire just at the top edge of the hardware cloth.
So far no problems with raccoons or coyotes. I don’t have any cameras out there yet but the snow recently showed one big raccoon schlepping past just outside the north fence. He didn’t stop.

In this country it just makes sense to have secure housing and fencing so that you can keep enjoying the wildlife instead of fearing it. In 6 years I’ve had 2 losses from hawks. I got some nice netting but haven’t finished putting it up.

Hey Morning State.. We have stayed safe from Covid crap
so far.
Going in for our boosters today but have to go to Chehalis.
@Hinotori Do you you possibly have a boy you want to sell ?

Not right now

I just have the partridge boys who have a job to do this spring and Ashes and Broly.

I do have cochin/silkie pullets.

We are in coyote/raccoonville ! We must be neighbors! :gig We put 6 foot field fencing with hardware cloth dug in along the bottom, then a single hot wire just at the top edge of the hardware cloth.
So far no problems with raccoons or coyotes. I don’t have any cameras out there yet but the snow recently showed one big raccoon schlepping past just outside the north fence. He didn’t stop.

In this country it just makes sense to have secure housing and fencing so that you can keep enjoying the wildlife instead of fearing it. In 6 years I’ve had 2 losses from hawks. I got some nice netting but haven’t finished putting it up.
I think we are neighbors. You are right about secure housing. Do raccoons dig? I know rats do, not sure about other critters, dogs and coyotes, probably? Hot wire it will be along the lower and upper. Zap go the noses and paws. Long lake area. How bout you?

Back
Top Bottom