Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I only give scratch in the fenced run. If I even touch the metal can with the scratch they come running.

I also only do the "chick chick chick" call when I have a treat so they come running where ever I am.

Silkies herd easily. I use white pvc poles to direct them. The large fowl dont herd as well and I usually have to call them in.

My new weapon is a puppy with decent herding instict. I've got him understanding he has to stop once they are in the pen. He bounces and freaks the large fowl out so they run home.

He's super good with the silkies as they react like sheep but arent afraid of him anymore.

Are they young? They will often grow out of that behavior. I keep cockerels separate when I need to until they mellow out a bit.
They are about 18 weeks he darn near killed my silkie he keeps going after her and as I said she is more then happy to scrap never met such a scrappy hen but super friendly to people loves to be held and comes over if you call her. He is also starting to get aggressive with mating if the hen does not wish to oblige him. He's not aggressive at all so far against humans which is good but I just wont have him bully my girls. I have decided to separate him for awhile with his brother who is actually a very calm Roo but it might be because Bruno is such an alpha. We will see how he does but if he doesn't calm down he has to go I want my girls to be happy hens!!

They are about 18 weeks he darn near killed my silkie he keeps going after her and as I said she is more then happy to scrap never met such a scrappy hen but super friendly to people loves to be held and comes over if you call her. He is also starting to get aggressive with mating if the hen does not wish to oblige him. He's not aggressive at all so far against humans which is good but I just wont have him bully my girls. I have decided to separate him for awhile with his brother who is actually a very calm Roo but it might be because Bruno is such an alpha. We will see how he does but if he doesn't calm down he has to go I want my girls to be happy hens!!
Took one of my roosters a year to mellow out. They are roosters at one year old, and until then they are clumsy and not very gentlemanly.. My Pippi was different. I was able to introduce him to the girls at a much younger age, probably 4 mos. He still takes good care of them. I have rehomed all my other roosters because none of them were as nice as he is, and I never want him to be challenged for top spot with the hens.

As for the auction, I'm sure roosters and cockerels are purchased for food or fighting and rarely for breeding. If you are willing to cook them yourself, I recommend that. When we cannot rehome a rooster, we cook it and use it for dog food, since we make all our own dog food these days.

ETA: I know fighting is illegal. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Took one of my roosters a year to mellow out. They are roosters at one year old, and until then they are clumsy and not very gentlemanly.. My Pippi was different. I was able to introduce him to the girls at a much younger age, probably 4 mos. He still takes good care of them. I have rehomed all my other roosters because none of them were as nice as he is, and I never want him to be challenged for top spot with the hens.

As for the auction, I'm sure roosters and cockerels are purchased for food or fighting and rarely for breeding. If you are willing to cook them yourself, I recommend that. When we cannot rehome a rooster, we cook it and use it for dog food, since we make all our own dog food these days.

ETA: I know fighting is illegal. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
We are discussing what to do if he doesn't change his ways I had not thought that he might be bought to fight I certainly do not want that! I don't know if he would be a good Roo in a different flock maybe one that does not have small breeds in the flock but I know Roosters are hard to re home. Perhaps if he has to go we should put him in the pot! I can say this board has helped me a lot that it seems to be a common practice for roosters to end up in the freezer! I have not been in this position before so its tough for me

He is at least going through a phase but you have decent one you said so make him soup ?
His brother Antonio is pretty mellow so we will see if he changes without his brother around I was hopeful when I ended up with them from some purchased chicks that they would do Ok seems like it is hit or miss with Roosters! I have never had them before so this is all new to me

Screenshot_20220701-174958_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom