Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I had chicken duty this morning. Husband is off to a men's meeting early. I haven't done the morning chores in a long time. Well, pretty simple. Open their coop door and toss some treats in for them. I didn't scatter them outside because it was raining, and figured they would like to stay in their enclosure for a while. The outdoor portion of the coop is all screened in with hardware cloth, so they are getting nice fresh air and not the rain on their heads. It's a large enough space for the 20 of them to fit comfortably. That becomes their world for much of the winter. They can go out if they want to and run around their little orchard, but who would want to in this rain?

Oh, the wind was crazy, too! Cleared up by late morning so we let the kids out.
Looked at the Old Farmer's Almanac forecast, and says we will have a cool and dry winter, unlike most of the interior US which will have more snow.
I keep hearing that everywhere. Colder but dryer for us this year. Might be a nice change. We bought a second heated watering dish for the chickens. If we are going to have cold weather, I don't want to spend the winter changing out waters all day. Somehow the clerk talked us into a large waterer for our small flock of 20 or so chickens. Well, they won't run out of water soon.

Winterizing here too! Added a couple of tarps to their Run. And broke down and bought a Sweeter Heater for those really cold nights. Got it up this weekend.
At what temps do you guys provide the supplemental heat?

Attachments

• 20231111_112253.jpg
    20231111_112253.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom