Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Haven't been here for awhile. Have 16 pullets that are 11.5 weeks old. 5 each of Dominant Coppers ( BCM x PR), Easter Eggers, and 6 Novogen white.
Did a major battle with coop mites. Been struggling with this since discovering them back in November. Removed the coop panels and found a gazillion of them. Cooked them with my heat gun, then sprayed permethrin on every surface and crevice. Have my fingers crossed. Anyone getting garden planted? Waiting for some warmer temps.

Haven't been here for awhile. Have 16 pullets that are 11.5 weeks old. 5 each of Dominant Coppers ( BCM x PR), Easter Eggers, and 6 Novogen white.
Did a major battle with coop mites. Been struggling with this since discovering them back in November. Removed the coop panels and found a gazillion of them. Cooked them with my heat gun, then sprayed permethrin on every surface and crevice. Have my fingers crossed. Anyone getting garden planted? Waiting for some warmer temps.
What a battle you have waged! I hope it's over now!

I decided to plant my garden from seed this year, direct sowing in the soil. Probably not a good idea in Washington. Looks like the beans, lettuce and cabbage are coming up, but I'm not seeing any signs of tomatoes or herbs. It's an experiment, so I'm sticking with it. The only thing I passionately need are the tomatoes and there are some good sources here for those, so I'll just buy them this year. I could put plants in now, but I still want to see what happens with these seeds. In the past I have started my seeds in a greenhouse and transplanted the seedlings. Will go back to that next year.

Always one grand experiment after another around here. :lol:

I decided to plant my garden from seed this year, direct sowing in the soil. Probably not a good idea in Washington. Looks like the beans, lettuce and cabbage are coming up, but I'm not seeing any signs of tomatoes or herbs. It's an experiment, so I'm sticking with it. The only thing I passionately need are the tomatoes and there are some good sources here for those, so I'll just buy them this year. I could put plants in now, but I still want to see what happens with these seeds. In the past I have started my seeds in a greenhouse and transplanted the seedlings. Will go back to that next year.

I bought mine at Sunbirds in Centralia

Doesn't the Eastern side warm up quicker? As always, keeping our fingers and toes crossed for good tomato weather. Have you ever had volunteer tomatoes? One year I let a mysterious couple grow, and they ended up being grape tomatoes. Must've been in the compost pile. I planted zucchini under some clear tents, and today noticed they had germinated. We're still in the low 60's, sometimes a teaser warmish day. Short lived, though.

Doesn't the Eastern side warm up quicker? As always, keeping our fingers and toes crossed for good tomato weather. Have you ever had volunteer tomatoes? One year I let a mysterious couple grow, and they ended up being grape tomatoes. Must've been in the compost pile. I planted zucchini under some clear tents, and today noticed they had germinated. We're still in the low 60's, sometimes a teaser warmish day. Short lived, though.
I think the Eastern side of the state is warmer. I'm in the Southwest, and it has been mostly cool. Last year I did have a volunteer cherry tomato come up from the year before. It came up a little later, but supplied me with more tomatoes than we could eat. So, I haven't given up. These might come up if it warms up a bit here. IDK :idunno It will be interesting to see what happens. Just wanted to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom