Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Still air incubator idea HELP :)

I am aquiring a 12 volt CPU fan today and am wanting to install it in a Little giant 9200 incubator.... I've read that too much air is bad and that the CPU fan is to fast... I'm powering the fan with a 9 volt old cell charger(has a transformer;)... I'm thinking this will slow the fan down significantly... on top of this I wanted to have the capability to adjust the fan speed even lower for lockdown to help with humidity level...To accomplish this I found a Rheostat at radio shack that should allow me to turn the voltage down even further, thus decreasing fan speed....

Am I on the right track? forgeting anything?... I cant seem to find anyone who's done a side by side comparison of still air vs forced air set up... I'm curious on hatch success rate... issues that arrose...grrr!! lol
I have several home made bators that are RIGHT ON...and DH has installed computer fans in each to move the air from the elements throughout.
having not enough air circulation can be a bad thing as hot air (and thus humidity) can rise, but in your sized incubator a computer fan should be perfect...is this what you have ???????????????

You should be able to wire in a dimmer into it between the transformer and the fan. I am only a hobby electrician, but that seems the logical way to wire it.
Einstein has done this very thing to one of my bators...it has a seperate black box to plug in...what ever you call in (transformer) so it gets the correct REDUCTION of power, some are 9 volts, some are 12 volts, etc.

I'm having a flashback to some R&B or disco song from the 80's. "Oh yes it's Ladies Night..." is all I can think of. Not Earth Wind and Fire... Maybe Kool and the Gang? Ladies night at Coastal Farm sounds fun - not sure I can make it though. I may have a wine party that night.
It was "Kool and the Gang".
As much as I hate to admit it, I went to discos back then.
In my defense, that music got girls out on the dance floor.
Pretty girls in dresses...a "win" in my book!
yesss.gif

It was "Kool and the Gang".
As much as I hate to admit it, I went to discos back then.
In my defense, that music got girls out on the dance floor.
Pretty girls in dresses...a "win" in my book!
yesss.gif
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I remember !!!
Dancing is the 3rd best exercise there is !!!
The first being swimming (alot of swimming) and y'all know what the 2nd is...and alot of that is required also...NO QUICKIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!
lau.gif

My photos for the night (so our thread does not have to have CR's Barfing smiley any longer !!!!!!!

Beautiful Blue Jersey Giant Man Chicken Butt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two different cockerels here...but man-chicken butt is~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MANLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been searching and searching for pvc black coated hex wire 1" holes 20 g.wire 6 ft. tall in a 150 ft. roll. So far the best deal I have found is at Wireman online. But we hate paying the shipping! So we have been on the phone calling all the farm stores we can think of that may carry it. No one on the North Olympic Peninsula stocks it. We also called Cenex in Kitsap county. Nope!
Does anyone here have any ideas where we could find it? Thanks in advance for any tips.
BTW Fencing materials & electric fencer plus my future BA chicks
jumpy.gif
are my Christmas present.
yesss.gif
DH will be fencing in a safe chicken padlock. ZAP!
ep.gif
Watch out raccoons!

~Dee~

Dee,

Best deals I've ever gotten on wire came from here http://www.wayfair.com/Mat-Plastic-Coated-Lawn-and-Home-Welded-Fence-308351B-308352B-BFJ1005.html

Well -- from wayfair.com ... I did a search to get you started looking for the specific roll you are wanting. Usually shipping is free, and most of my orders have shipped from Spokane so I got them rather quickly. I am not sure they have the specific wire you want.

Good luck,

Dave

So.....I have yet to hear how where the Bread & butter pickles ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

and now I am gone to fry pub cod & chips~~~~NIGHT !!!
frow.gif

I have several home made bators that are RIGHT ON...and DH has installed computer fans in each to move the air from the elements throughout.
having not enough air circulation can be a bad thing as hot air (and thus humidity) can rise, but in your sized incubator a computer fan should be perfect...is this what you have ???????????????
awesome to hear! yep, that's what I have! YAY! thanks!!

Still air incubator idea HELP :)

I am aquiring a 12 volt CPU fan today and am wanting to install it in a Little giant 9200 incubator.... I've read that too much air is bad and that the CPU fan is to fast... I'm powering the fan with a 9 volt old cell charger(has a transformer;)... I'm thinking this will slow the fan down significantly... on top of this I wanted to have the capability to adjust the fan speed even lower for lockdown to help with humidity level...To accomplish this I found a Rheostat at radio shack that should allow me to turn the voltage down even further, thus decreasing fan speed....

Am I on the right track? forgeting anything?... I cant seem to find anyone who's done a side by side comparison of still air vs forced air set up... I'm curious on hatch success rate... issues that arrose...grrr!! lol
Yes you are on the right track. Myself IF I was going to do DC I would start with a 12VDC supply that way you can get full potential from the fan and still go way down. You can also do a 110 VAC fan and use a light dimmer switch.

Back
Top Bottom