Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
My incubator finally arived!!!
wee.gif
I'm so happy! Now to sit and wait for eggs...
jumpy.gif

Quote:
You can still prune it, you just might not got any buds this year. My grampa was a rose fanatic and he said when you have to do a drastic prune, to take off anything that is fatter than the average mans pinky finger. Hope this helps. Looking at the size of your monster, you may want to take your main canes down to the height that you want and then go with the pinky trim. Always cut on an angle.(if you didn't know)
smile.png

This rose blooms from spring all the way through fall. Last year it bloomed in december...

Quote:

Whats forsythia?
hide.gif

Shrub with the brightest yellow flowers(a bit rangy). First of the spring bloomers. We have pussy willow and forsythia both on right now. But we are in a bit of a pocket.

Quote:
When my older brother died the best pic we had of him he had a mullet. My dad is pretty good with the ol' photoshop so i made him make me a copy with the mullet gone so i can remember my brother with some dignity!

Oh, and my turkey recovered completey, must have gotten bonked on the head.

You have to actually look to see my unkles mullet, he keeps it braided in a very tight rats tail... At least thats what he calls it. lol

Quote:
Nope! I'm in poulsbo myself. Well actually outside poulsbo but same zip code. lol

welcome-byc.gif

There are a few others who are closer to Kingston, and I think there is someone down torwards gorst... Or maby farther than that.

Quote:
Whats forsythia?
hide.gif

Shrub with the brightest yellow flowers(a bit rangy). First of the spring bloomers. We have pussy willow and forsythia both on right now. But we are in a bit of a pocket.

O I got it, Google is a wonderfull tool. lol The only flowering plants I have are my rose, and all these hawthorns.

Quote:
Holy cow that is a monster!!! Is it a climber or bush type? I'd probably still take back all the old canes to a desired height, cut out any old dead wood and then just manage the new growth over the next few seasons. I'd also probably use a pruning sealant as those will be some massive cuts! Have fun!
lol.png
Gonna use a chain saw?
tongue.png

lol I gotta do something. The poor thing is so over grown and top heavy that if its not tied up it falls over on itself... I have a really nice pare of large clippers, but I'm not so sure that even those are heavy enough to cut through the thickest stalk... I have already taken off the obviously dead wood, but have been afraid to cut back much of the living, as I have NO clue how far to take it back. Do I prune it like a tree and only remove 30%, or can I do a more drastic pruning and remove 1/2 or more...?

Can you tell I have no clue what to do with this rose? lol I had someone that I thought I had hired. Paid them and everything, and they never once touched this rose. But every year I get blooms. All through spring, and into late fall. This plant was still budding out flowers in late december of this past year. Very pretty, medium sized, pink roses. The humming birds LOVE them for some reason.

Also I am not sure if this is supposed to be a bush or a climber... It has nothing to climb onto, so I am guessing it suposed to be a bush, but really its more like a small rose tree.

I would dig it up and put it where it can climb on something. Maybe put it next to the deck. It is still dormant now. It should do just fine.
Alternatively, you can build some kind of gazebo around it, or tarin it to grow on a fence or something. It is no use having to drastically prune it a few times over the growing season. If it is a climber, let it climb.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thinking about it... I do have that non-working mini-fridge downstairs. Wondering how much trouble I could get into with an incubator that size...

Watch out... I just wanted 8-10 chooks and now I have a mini fridge that I think will hold up to 164 eggs. Oh what fun one can have!
big_smile.png

Yes, fun would be the appropriate euphemism for trouble. I wonder if my husband would notice if I turned his computer room into an incubator room/chick nursery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom