1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washingtonians

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Napalongtail, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:Yes Its a very very big quilt show [​IMG]

Way cool. I quilt. So I might have to sneak over and look. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    Wow... You don't know how attached you are to something until it is taken away! [​IMG]
    I have a Q for anyone who is sittin around doin nothing. (ha) My cuckoos are going into lockdown on Tuesday. So day 21 is Friday. Hate to sound stupid but does that mean they'll be done hatching on Friday or is that when the fun starts? How long after they hatch before they are walking, eating and drinking? Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:ok so the hatch can start early sometime so look for a crack in the eggs or even a peep peep .
    Once they start dont open it up to take the chicks out, it will drop the humidity in there and you need that for them. If you do have to many hatch and they are all over each other and rolling the eggs around I have gotten a water bottle with hot water in it and really fast not. Open it up an grab the chicks than spray in there to keep the moisture up. Does that make since...
    Than with your water make sure you have rocks or marbles in it so the chicks dont fall alseep in it and you know [​IMG] I also put food in a jar lid thats low so they get use to it. ( with that it goes on a paper towel and I put some food on it and show it to the chicks.) You also have to show the water to each one of them.
    Let me know if you need any more help.. Its really easy..[​IMG]

4. broodytood

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    Quote:ok so the hatch can start early sometime so look for a crack in the eggs or even a peep peep .
    Once they start dont open it up to take the chicks out, it will drop the humidity in there and you need that for them. If you do have to many hatch and they are all over each other and rolling the eggs around I have gotten a water bottle with hot water in it and really fast not. Open it up an grab the chicks than spray in there to keep the moisture up. Does that make since...
    Than with your water make sure you have rocks or marbles in it so the chicks dont fall alseep in it and you know [​IMG] I also put food in a jar lid thats low so they get use to it. ( with that it goes on a paper towel and I put some food on it and show it to the chicks.) You also have to show the water to each one of them.
    Let me know if you need any more help.. Its really easy..[​IMG]

What I'm worried about is the show on Sat. I'm hoping they all be out and in the brooder with water and food so I can go as planned. If not, I'm gonna have to con my neighbor into watching over them, and teach her what I know.
    So about how long after hatch before they are up on their feet? My neighbor is a bit squeamish, I hope she can handle it! [​IMG]

5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Baby Chickens can stay in the incubator without food and water for 24-48hrs... so you should be fine.
    Just check before you leave and when you get back.

6. Zgoatlady

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    ok so you need to go to youtube and type in chicken hatching.. That way you can see.
    Its not bad at all and the little guys pop out and lay and get up and move around and fall and sleep really fast..

here is one site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiucLcBxd-8

Some
    you dont even see hatch you just look and they are out. What I do is I use a egg carton thats styrofoam that holds the eggs upright big end up and make sure that the bottom of the carton is cut out where the egg sits so they can get plenty of air. Dont use regular one's they takeup the moisture that the eggs need.. I hope this make's since..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  7. broodytood

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    Quote:Oh good... that make me feel better!

8. broodytood

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    Quote:I do have the paper kind of egg cartons in there but I have styro I can switch to. Thanks for all the help. The process doesn't freak me out at all but my friend/neighbor is absolutely hilarious!!! She can't stand critters of any kind! Screams about anything. Took her 6 months to get used to the dog her DH brought home. It's sooo funny(well at least to everyone but her!)

We will only be gone to the show for 7-8 hrs so I guess I'll just stop worrying.
    Thanks again everybody.

9. Zgoatlady

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:I do have the paper kind of egg cartons in there but I have styro I can switch to. Thanks for all the help. The process doesn't freak me out at all but my friend/neighbor is absolutely hilarious!!! She can't stand critters of any kind! Screams about anything. Took her 6 months to get used to the dog her DH brought home. It's sooo funny(well at least to everyone but her!)

We will only be gone to the show for 7-8 hrs so I guess I'll just stop worrying.
    Thanks again everybody.

Oh my gosh that is just funny..
    A few years back my oldest son helped us with a doe that was kidding and he almost passed out. I didnt know it until the next day when my husband told me.. I still bring it up. His wife and I get in gross topics and he just gets plane made at us. We dont mean to put once he brings it up its on... [​IMG]

10. Zgoatlady

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by