Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
after reading so much about chickens on here and in books i have decided:

1. my chickens haven't read these books
2. 2 banty roosters and 1 10lb roo get along perfect, never fight.
3. all my roo's are friendly
4. chickens can hold grudges against a person by not laying eggs.
5. not one of my hens has gone broody despite the fact they are supposed to be inclined to.
6. got a few year old silky for free to be my cheap incubator of these other hen's eggs... it wont go broody.

my flock has now expanded to 27. and some i got for free and are a few years old. 0607,08,09 hatches.

nyrial those 3 chicks i got from you are doign well, the 2 milli roos are having fun.
i am still not sure about that brahma, it is almost the size of my normal brahma and its crest and wattles are just now starting to color, still not sure if it is male or not, doesn't act it.

Anyone looking for a true Ameraucana rooster? I've got a black one, a little over a month old, free to go to a good home.
smile.png

So while looking at my current chicks, checking how everyone is doing - I notice two chicks are having an absolute flutter fest for minutes on end in their "sleeping box" (used to be their brooder but now has a door to their run.) I found that my biggest Marans cockeral is fighting with one of my black Ameraucanas!!! Fighting! At a MONTH old of age! So I seperate them to see how is the culprit, and who starts it again? The Ameraucana. I seperate them again just to double check. . . And the Ameraucana goes at it again. He then finds my fav. Ameraucana cockeral, and wails on him, too. So then THEY start a fight.
barnie.gif
So the bottom line is, he's gotta go.

He's not aggressive to people, infact he's a sweetie - But he already had a drop of blood come from his comb, and all day today, even after carrying him around and discussing him with the family - I put him back in, he's fine. then BAM! He sees that same Marans, and just pounces on the poor thing! So. . . I have him seperatly penned right now. Eventually I was going to have only one Ameraucana roo from this batch of 8, but I did NOT think things would go along like this THIS early.
roll.png

So anyway. . . Free Ameraucana roo, has great, true blue genetics, to any takers. He's a doll to people and other pullets, he just either A) needs a rooster to show him who's boss, or B) no other rooster around.
lol.png

I have pips! I started lockdown yesterday, and this morning there was nothing, then about an hour ago I went into my kitchen and heard pips. (the bator and some quail in a cage are in the kitchen and the quail make little noises too) There are 3 eggs with cracks in them. I am seeing a lot of movement around one of the little hole/crack in my green americana egg, but not much more progress. When should I worry about it?

This is my first hatch!
wee.gif
ya.gif
pop.gif

Hello Washingtonians!
woot.gif

Just a reminder that there are still lots of towns and cities right here in Washington up for grabs in the BYC Chicken L.O.R.E. Project!

This is a massive undertaking, and everyone is encouraged to participate! Your knowledge of Chicken L.O.R.E. will earn you GFM Scratch, which are good towards new GFM Memberships, Membership extensions, or Membership gifts.

Remember - you don't have to select a city in Washington - cruise the selection list and choose any city still available!

Get started now! Click on the Chicken L.O.R.E. link above for all the details, and remember your Project Managers are here to help in any way we can.

Good Luck, and Thanx for Joining In!
clap.gif

One of my two golden sexlinks seems to be a little on the sick side. She walks around real slow and doesn't really mingle with the flock when they are free ranging. She will pick here and there but does very little scratching with her feet. If I try and catch her she will run like Hell so shes not that sick. I'm thinking it might be one of Two things (1) pasting up (constipated) the book says its when droppings cluster up and adhere to its vent. so they can't pass new droppings. She did have a mesh hanging in her feathers under her vent. so I took a warm rag and cleaned her off and cut a way some of the droppings. her vent looks clean (NEVER Thought I would be looking up a chickens ass)
barnie.gif
. If anything it looks like she has diarehia. (2) this is the one I am worried about EGG BINDING. The last seven days I have only gotten 4 out of 5 brown eggs. The six days prior to that I got all five eggs, six days in a row. I put her in a separate coop last night and as of 4:00pm this after noon she hasn't laid an egg. I did pick her up and felt all around her chest and stomach. But couldn't feel anything. where should I be looking for an egg inside her
idunno.gif

My wife (who hates my chickens) said maybe I should take her to a vet.
sickbyc.gif
. If I had said I was going to take her to the vet, My wife would have said" your taking a stupid chicken to the vet??
rant.gif
Never have been able to figure out that women
he.gif

So does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions ????? I've already asked if I could bring her in the house. I was told I could sleep out in the coop with her:confused:

Welcome StephC

Nice to see another new person.

RonB,

Sorry you might have a sick one. Lots of different poop is normal for chickens. I'll attach the poop page in case you haven't seen it. I wish I knew more about the medical stuff. All I can suggest is probiotics in case she's got an upset stomach. If you really think she's sick I'd throw everything ( Vits & Electrolites)( Anti-Biotics) at her, with such vague symptoms. To check for a stuck egg- Lots of olive oil, finger, and rubber glove(optional). You could also try giving her a warm bath to relax her. (Wife will like that.
lol.png
) You might want to try PMing chickchook in olympia She seems pretty knowlegable. Maybe kittymomma also. Both I've seen doing a better job than I helping out in the Emergency forum.

Russ- BTW I'd keep any wife who suggested a vet for a chicken.

It's not overboard till you start taking the neighbors pets to the vet, on your dime.
roll.png

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Rainplace.... I LOVE THE PICTURES!!!! '
love.gif
',How gorgeous are those blacks!!! Is it normal for blacks to have that much iridescence in their feathers? I also loved your fawn and white! Beautiful! You are truly a lucky lady to be surrounded by such wonderful feathered friends!

You have just helped to add some fuel to my fire! Thank You!'
clap.gif
',

Quote:
Well as it turns out, one of our neighbors/friends wants the roo. All they have are BRs and RIRs, so they're very excited to have a roo with blue egg genes. . .

However, no worries. I have 4 cockerels from this batch, and I believe I'll only keep one. If the blues grow up to be really promising I may change my mind (one in particular is suuuch a sweetie, but he has no beard or muffs. . .
sad.png
) So far I'm thinking I'll keep the bigger black boy, and get rid of the remaining 2 blue boys as well. It's sad actually to slim down the cockerel pop, but we only want the best, and currently do not have room for spares. I think the teasing thing is that whenever we get rid of extra boys, they always act as cute as possible on their last week or so.
love.gif

I am in Washington. Everett to be exact.

I just got baby chicks a few days ago and I am SO excited to have them!
celebrate.gif

I do have a question though, how much handling should i do? I've read both sides on it and I just want to see what some other people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom