Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
woke up today to more babies in the incubator... I hate not knowing when things will hatch. kids and friend were just putting eggs in there w/o dating them or anything. And they got put in wherever. 1 or 2 eggs a day. I like to know things george... lol..

whenever i put eggs in the bator I put the date on the egg. this helps me keep a more accurate count of days to hatch.

Well anyways, I lost a button quail. Was putting water in the cage when zoom out flying it went., My cat got it super quick and gulped it down feathers and all.

now back to the babies: I got 1 turkey baby this morning, 1 silkie baby. Last night I got 1 silkie, then a marans, and late last night another marans. So now there are 5 babies and 1 button quail in the brooder in my house.

Oh and 4 more silkie eggs have pipped. This is a good thing. All the babies except the turkeys are my friends. The quail was her mom's eggs but she wouldn't take the babies back once they hatched now there is only 1. It isn't a cuddler, snugggler or any sort of people type bird. A bit dissapointing for me when all the rest seem so cuddly.

So now I am waiting on 4 eggs to zip and chicks to come out.... This incubator stuff can be so dang exciting.

I was wondering if Oxytetracyclin would work for mg?? I checked all the feed stores in the county but no one has any of the antibiotics such as Erythromycin, tylosin,spectinomycin or any of the others recommended for treating mg.

So CUTE!  Glad you rescued her.  So sad for the others.

I had allergy testing and was surprised to learn I was allergic to eggs.  Hmmmm.  Wonder if the stuff they use for testing has traces of antibiotics in it.  Maybe I could eat our home grown eggs???  :fl

I would seriously consider switching feed to Scratch and Peck Naturally Free. There's no soy or corn, which could be what is getting into the eggs you are testing allergic to. Our kids are dairy/soy/gluten intolerant and we are going to be using Scratch and Peck starting as soon as the 10lbs of feed I have left is gone. The babies are 8 weeks old today!!!!! I have a single 11lb feeder almost full of their medicated chick starter left, then we get to make the switch! I'm super excited since I already know they love the new feed, I've been giving them a little every day to get them used to whole grains before inundating their systems with it.

What killsme is that the Scratch and Peck feed contains something to which I have a respiratory sensitivity- ground rye, I think- and while we were feeding the grower formula to the EEs I had to stay out of that end of the house.

Life would be so much less complicated if we were all the same, eh?

I am goofing around and need to get on my feet and go outside, but having someone to do the heavy lifting today would be a grand thing indeed.

StumpFarmer - such a bummer about the Scratch and Peck! I honestly haven't been allergy tested but need to be. I would love to know exactly what I react to (I know seagrass is a huge one, I bought some baskets to decorate with and they just about killed me!) so I can do better at protecting myself from being miserable!

My Mom is allergic to wheat, so we've had a severe issue finding stuff she can eat. She can't handle any of Xantham gum or Guar gum they use in much of the gluten free stuff, so she's had no relief buying that stuff. She now has some mix of sweet rice flour, tapioca flour, sweet potato flour, and glutinous rice flour (texture, not actual gluten) that she's had good success making all sorts of stuff with. Biscuits, cookies, and pizza and pie crusts. She was experimenting and found out the sweet potato flour makes a very good breading recently. It doesn't take much and fries nice and crisp, stays on the food and doesn't burn. The only unfortunate thing is she can't get the sweet potato or glutinous rice flour down where she is, and they don't carry the super fine sweet rice flour that isn't gritty either. So I get a big shopping list to go buy at H-Mart before I go visit.

If she has any good recipes to share, I'd love to have them! If I eat too much xantham gum, I get major IBS symtoms. I didn't realize this until I had to go gluten-free and started eating stuff with a lot of the xantham gum in it. I can eat a little, but not much.

Someone also mentioned egg allergies - I can't eat eggs either. It doesn't matter if they are chicken or duck, store bought or homegrown. I seem to be able to handle small quantities of them (if they are used to bake something, etc.), but I can't eat an omelette or a fried egg for breadkfast. A friend of mine is allergic to chicken eggs, too, and got ducks for their eggs. It turns out she can't eat them either. So, I would give homegrown chicken or duck eggs a try, but I wouldn't count on being able to eat them. Everyone is different, though. My gastroenterologist described the whole food allergy thing as a spectrum - there are people at both extremes and everywhere in between.

So my girls got oatmeal for the first time today. It wasn't a huge hit, but they ate some before walking through the bowl.
barnie.gif

Then I cut 2 squash in half and brought that out to them. They're almost picked clean already! They LOVE squash!

Interesting about egg allergies. I never knew people could be allergic to chicken eggs but not duck eggs. Also, I didn't know that corn and soy doesn't get into eggs. We're still sticking with our Scratch and Peck simply because it's local and the most natural choice for us, but good to know about the egg contents.

OK I'm a total thread killer. Off to get something done instead of wait for someone to talk to. I need to clean 3 bathrooms as we're having company tomorrow, but I REALLLLLY don't want to shower again today. Conundrum.

So I went to the feed store to get MORE chicken food and well I was a bad girl....
hide.gif
At least as DH will see it.They had just got a shipment of chicks in and they had a whole bunch of bantoms and silkies. Well I already have silkies but no banntoms untill now. I could not help myself, there was one I just had to have and then well she can't be alone so I had to get her two friends. But I need help to figure out what they could be.
This one was my first pick, she is a very light colored chipmunk lookin thing. Any thoughts???

This one looks like a lil owl!??????

This one is a darker chipmunk.???

I have no clue what any of these are.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom