Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you my hubby bought her from a breeder in the Seattle area! She hasn't crowed but she doesn't mind telling us what is on her mind! She has been hanging out in the coop but I keep looking for a chocolate colored egg! Hubby is dying to see an egg from her! I will try to get a better pic tomorrow with better light. Thank you I'm feeling a little lost in all of this!
I have a few hens that are two that Im selling.

4 silkies are hatched and home now. A little disappointed but I understand that hatch rate can be on the low side with shipped eggs.

I have shown them the water and the oldest has drank on it's own now, but not the others, they are a day or two younger.

What about getting them interested in food? The first hatch is coming up on 3 day out.
I tapped my finger in the food to show them. Any other ideas?

Any ideas would be fantastic!

And a big, big THANK YOU to Tamara(WA4-Hpoultrymom) for hatching my chicks and showing me the ropes!
I can see where this could be just as addicting as chickens themselves!
Ah! to have peeping in the house again! Love it!

Kim
I show them the water and do the dip and I also get a finger wet and put it in the food and wiggle it around. They think its a treat and eat off of my finger I do that a few times and they seem to get the idea. Hope this helps

Can the chicken experts here listen to the sound on this page titled "Chicken Moaning with a High Pitch"? Is this the sound of a chicken in a lot of pain?

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/chicken?page=3

I put my 6-week-old Light Brahma, who has been in a chair for 2 days, out in her hospital kennel next to the brooder for bed time. She's on shredded paper covered by paper towel. After 2 days of being in the chair all day (but not at night), she still can't walk. She started making this sound and my other two started flying to the top of the brooder and body slamming into the wire of the hospital kennel. I finally had to turn off all lights just to get them to calm down and stop slamming against the brooder wire. Last time I checked, my Light Brahma was still making that sound.

Can anyone clue me in on what's going on here? Thanks. I'm just heartbroken over this whole situation and I don't want my other two to get hurt in the process.

So I just read on another thread to give Krell oil you can get it at a health food store,it comes in a pill poke it with a needle and put on her beak see if that will help her. I dont think thats a bad sound by the way..

Sunbug 4 Correct me if I am wrong but,, I think when you first had the kitten home you said she had fleas.. She may very well have tapeworm. Animals bite at themselves when they itch and likewise swallow fleas. Whomever had the kittens certainly didn't care for them - she may have other types of worms as well. Any of these could cause her to be thin and unthrifty

Wow! Another busy day on here.. The baby kitten is doing okay. Not as well as I would like, but she will be just fine. I have started her on a bottle, she is not eatting much from it, but is getting some, she is active when she is up and bright eyed and alert so that is good. She is just sooo darn skinny. And she is able to go potty on her own without stimulation! YAY!!!! And I have her using a litter box! Little Miss Luna is truly a doll!!

The chickens are soooo happy in their run outside! They had some greens today and just went crazy! Ha Ha! I put a stump out there for me to sit on and visit, and they just wander around me doing their thing... And my first chicken book came in today... The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens! It is not to bad! I have a few more coming that I ordered off of Amazon..

Well wishes to all those having a hard time in their lives, and yay! to all those with with good things going on in their lives!!!!
have you tried giving the kitten baby food? like chicken or turkey on the tip of your finger it might help her want to eat.

CL the hen is a wheaton and boys are not that color. Remember the one you got for me?
thumbsup.gif

Take a deap breath.....Yes pullets and hens have the little spir bumps too!

You have no idea how much I needed to hear that! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Today I harvested the first heads of my broccolli. It was yummy! I always forget how different home-grown food tastes until I eat the first of it each spring. I ate my fill and gave the rest to the chickens. My healthy chickens pretty much ignored it, they were too busy having fun in the greenhouse. My injured chicken, on the other hand, had a blast with it. She was flipping the tiny chunks of broccolli florets all over the place. It kept her really busy. Let me tell you, that chick can throw!

I'm pretty excited - of my 16 cauliflower plants, I already have a head forming. Yay! I'll be honest, I have never successfully grown cauliflower before. I'm hoping this year I'll be successful. I grow organically, and some plants just seem to be harder for me to get to grow right. Every year I've tried cauliflower, it's been ravaged by the cabbage looper. This year, I'm growing my broccolli and cauliflower under row cover. Works so much better! Doesn't keep the slugs out, but I haven't seen any sign of cabbage looper yet.

Tonight, I took my Brahma out of her chair and put her in her hospital kennel early. I won't leave her in her chair unsupervised, and I had to go to a Cub Scout Pack meeting (I'm a Webelos leader). When we got home she was standing up in the back of the kennel. She's limping pretty badly still, but she's putting a little weight on it now instead of hopping. I hope that's a good sign!
fl.gif

Thanks guys for being so helpful through this ordeal.

Hey guy I have a question, what is the main reason people get silkies? Other then they are wonderful brooders? I have seen lately they are very popular in my area and was wondering if I was missing out on somin LOL.. From what I read they arent the greatest layer so I was just wondering... Thanks
smile.png
Oh they are great for kids to show and have around,people just like them because they are cute. Oh the dark meat is supose to be really good too. NO I dont eat ours NO NO NO
rant.gif

Sunbug 4 Correct me if I am wrong but,, I think when you first had the kitten home you said she had fleas.. She may very well have tapeworm. Animals bite at themselves when they itch and likewise swallow fleas. Whomever had the kittens certainly didn't care for them - she may have other types of worms as well. Any of these could cause her to be thin and unthrifty

My little Brahma and I have spent the last few days watching Animal Planet. It seems like deworming is the first thing they do with animal rescues. I never knew that. Learn something new every day.

So I just read on another thread to give Krell oil you can get it at a health food store,it comes in a pill poke it with a needle and put on her beak see if that will help her. I dont think thats a bad sound by the way..

I'll check into the Krell oil. Thank you!

She doesn't cry much when she's in her chair (unless, heaven forbid, I walk out of the room without carrying her with me). She made that sound twice today while we were outside. Her "sisters" were in the greenhouse and they started talking to each other. This time around, the other two didn't react violently to that sound like they did last night. But, last night, she made that sound over and over and didn't stop until I took her out of the garage and brought her into the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom