Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I have a question. Is it to much to ask of my 4 month old Silkie cockerel to NOT attack my 4 year old boy every time he goes into the chicken yard? I know he's a rooster and not supposed to be all sweet and cuddly, but if my son can't step foot in the yard then the rooster will have to go. Any advice? I know it may be a silly question, but I'm asking any way. Also, he has shown aggression towards my husband. He tried with me a couple times but after meeting the back of my hand he is ok for now.

Thank you,
Shyla

IMO - this bird should be dinner. Or at least sold to someone that has no children with a warning that he has been aggressive towards kids.

I found a silly egg in one of my boxes today. It was either my elderly-but-still-laying standard or one of the young ones, but they're only 4 months old. Is it at all possible for 4-month-olds to start laying? My gold star probably just had a slightly off day.
lol.png

LOVE! My blueberry had a fart egg a few pages back too - looked like a blueberry!
lau.gif

Hey I just have a quick question for those of you with turkeys. I have a hen that has been sitting on a clutch, found that she has been breaking all her eggs but one. It is moving around on it's own and due today. My question is do I need to take the turkey chick away from mom when it hatches so it will survive or will it do better with the mom?

IMO - unless she proves to be a bad mom - they know better than we do!
big_smile.png

Ok, so I have a question. Is it to much to ask of my 4 month old Silkie cockerel to NOT attack my 4 year old boy every time he goes into the chicken yard? I know he's a rooster and not supposed to be all sweet and cuddly, but if my son can't step foot in the yard then the rooster will have to go. Any advice? I know it may be a silly question, but I'm asking any way. Also, he has shown aggression towards my husband. He tried with me a couple times but after meeting the back of my hand he is ok for now.

Thank you,
Shyla

Well, I have two idea's-- but no idea if either would really apply.

Does the young stud like mealworms? If so, what about giving your child/husband mealworms to give the cockerel (open hand, with mealworms in palm) when he comes up to them? Have the cockerel associate your son/husband with good treats instead of invading his territory? It will take a few times to get him to associate them with good things, won't happen in a single day.

If the treat doesn't work, how do chickens feel about water, spray, bottles? Set a spray bottle on stream and spray him between the eyes when he gets agressive.

One of my dogs is a 'heeler' (meaning she herds me by nipping at my heels- like she would a cow/sheep). It bloody well HURTS, so now I am ready with the squirt bottle and spray her when she is about to do it. She has now cut that out. No idea if this would work with Roo's :)

Sheila :)

Thank you,
Shyla
You should sell him. Or give him away. Any way to get rid of him. You do not need a mean rooster.

He tries so hard!

HAHA! MY DOG KEPT COCKING HER HEAD EVERY WHICH WAY AND I KEPT HAVING TO REPLAY IT AS IT WAS SO ENTERTAINING!!

Here are a few pics of my mealworm containers. I am going to start farming them again.
thumbsup.gif
I know that CC wanted to know what containers some people use.
These are 16 qt Sterilite containers. I got them from another BYC'er, SillyChickens.

I got my Bran meal from the feed store in a #50 bag. It sits in the chest freezer in the garage. You either need to freeze it for a long time or bake it to kill any larvae that turn into moths. This bag has been in my freezer since last year.
big_smile.png
I have yet to get the mealworms and put potato halves in, but you get the idea.
Trish, I don't know what the guy used to glue the screen on, but I am sure you know of something that will work. I am thinking some sort of apoxy?
OOO, THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!!

I can understand why! There is nothing like this on any of the Silkie threads. I am at a loss on why certain Serama people have to be so nasty and treat each other so badly. It is a real turn off, I'll tell you but I've managed to keep my mouth shut and stay out of it. However, I draw the line when someone swears at and browbeats a child. Hence my response today.

In dogs,it is a joke that people are like their dogs but Serama's are such sweet birds with such a great disposition. Too bad the owners can't learn from their birds, huh?? LOL!! :)

GREAT RESPONSE!! I HAVE TROUBLE MYSELF LISTENING TO OR BEING AROUND THOSE TYPES OF PEOPLE. IT IS BEST FOR ME TO KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT AS I GET TOO ANGRY TOO EASILY.
sad.png

I tend to ignore posts with attitude knowing that the people who wrote them just haven't been here long enough to know what a wonderful group of folks are on the site.
I did want to add that I love my standard poodle German Shepherd cross that I paid a lot of money for and drove down to California to pick her up. I love her just as much as my mutt that I found on I-90. The breeder that I bought my shepherd/poodle cross from sold them as mutts. He normally breeds German shepherds for family pets and poodles (for hunting!). he's been doing so for over 20 years and has some wonderful dogs. Both my dogs are great flock guardians and I can trust them alone with my chickens now.
thumbsup.gif
GLAD YOU ENJOY YOUR MUTT! ANY PICS?? THAT SOUNDS LIKE A VERY INTERESTING MIX! I LOVE THAT THEY USE THEIR POODLES FOR THEIR INITIALLY INTENDED PURPOSE!!

Superworms are a different species than regular mealworms, and they take longer to develop. The main problem with breeding them, though, is that they are cannibalistic, and if they are kept in large numbers (which most people do) the population pressure keeps them from pupating. They will just grow bigger and bigger, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if you want to breed them, there are two methods. If you don't have a huge colony, you can just create hidey holes for them to use to get away from the other worms. Stack egg crate, fold up hand towels or paper towels, that sort of thing. If you have a large colony, you will need to remove the largest worms to allow them to pupate. I've put them in film canisters (back when they existed!) and into trays with little compartments. The worms will curl up into "C" shapes before turning into pupae. Then just check the pupae periodically, and when they molt into adults add them back or put them in a new bin. Be careful handling them, though. They have a chemical defense that will make your hands reek!

I haven't raised mealworms or supers in a while. I currently keep feeder roaches for my geckos and tarantulas, and I can't wait to watch chickens chase them around.
pop.gif
If you aren't squeamish, roaches are very easy and cheap to keep!

Jennifer
BRAVE LADY! NOT MANY CAN BE AROUND ALL THOSE CRITTERS! LOVE IT!!

Here it is finished. Bunny loves her new digs.
WHAT A COOL, RESOURCEFUL CREATION!
I have had a heck of a weekend!

Poor Cash found a rattlesnake....

The vet said he'll be okay...and thankfully, he's a BIG, tough dog. A smaller dog or a cat wouldn't have been as "lucky."
POOR BABY!!! HOPE HE HEALS WELL AND FAST!!

Ok, so I have a question. Is it to much to ask of my 4 month old Silkie cockerel to NOT attack my 4 year old boy every time he goes into the chicken yard? I know he's a rooster and not supposed to be all sweet and cuddly, but if my son can't step foot in the yard then the rooster will have to go. Any advice? I know it may be a silly question, but I'm asking any way. Also, he has shown aggression towards my husband. He tried with me a couple times but after meeting the back of my hand he is ok for now.

Thank you,
Shyla

IMO - this bird should be dinner. Or at least sold to someone that has no children with a warning that he has been aggressive towards kids.

x2!!!

X3!!! My son was pecked in the eyes by a mean pullet; we secluded her and she never did it again and now we're not worried, but looking back at it all I wish we'd gotten rid of her. Please don't value an animal more than your sweet boy. Maybe I will post pic of my sons eyes again soon.

I have had a heck of a weekend!

Poor Cash found a rattlesnake....

Here he was last night...took him to the vet this morning....

Eye Shaved & ready

Waiting for the Valium to kick in...you can see marks that look like fangs here..

Knocked out, draining fluid. The bloody area is from the vet draining pus out. The dark circle below is necrotic tissue.

Knocked out at the vet's office. Lanced, drained & packed with antibiotics.

Back home, still really drugged up...

Poor Cash, with drool strings...

I had to lift a 95lb, drooling, bleeding, pus-filled, drugged/dead-weight dog out of the truck bed. :) I couldn't carry him into the house, so for now, he's resting on his old sleeping bag in the shade with some water. He's still really out of it. But $235 later, he's still alive. Now he's on Predisone and Cephalexin.
The vet said he'll be okay...and thankfully, he's a BIG, tough dog. A smaller dog or a cat wouldn't have been as "lucky."

OMG!!! That poor baby!!! Do they have anyone who does Snake Proofing in your area? (http://www.snakeproofing.com/ ). I lived, for eight years, in Yuma, AZ and after having two of my Sibs, taking turns jumping at a rattler, in the backyard, made me find out about it.

Hopefully, this horrible incident will ingrain the smell of a snake with the terrible pain of the bite and the next time he smells one, he will head in the other direction!!

This may sound very stupid but I did not realize that western WA had rattlers, I - for some reason- only thought they were in eastern WA.

You mentioned necrotic tissue. What is the prognosis for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom