Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: I have had a couple do it. The last one did a partial crow shortly before my cockerel found his voice.
roll.png

I'm up early today - will be sure to let the big girls out first so Blueberry doesn't feel the need to yell/crow/otherwise get my attention.

The weird part is that we DO have a crowing boy - so what is up with her feeling the need? Ugh.

After I posted last night - I went outside to check on everyone and found that our bantam Frodo had a bloody comb where a meanie pecked her
sad.png

And it looks as if Juno has gone broody again - second time this year - joining Blackberry who I've been trying to break of broody for over two weeks now.

And one of my EE cockerels was acting weird...that is...he was being lethargic and allowing me to pick him up and examine him without putting up a fuss (not normal - this is not one of the birds that I can usually 'pick up' without a fuss).

I checked him well - feet look good - no bugs - comb a little pale - cannot find a distended or squishy crop - eyes bright - no discharge or nasal issues that I can detect.

It was later at night so I seperated him for the evening and we'll see how he is this morning.
fl.gif
Hopefully I'm just paranoid and watch my birds too closely.

After I posted last night - I went outside to check on everyone and found that our bantam Frodo had a bloody comb where a meanie pecked her
sad.png

And it looks as if Juno has gone broody again - second time this year - joining Blackberry who I've been trying to break of broody for over two weeks now.

And one of my EE cockerels was acting weird...that is...he was being lethargic and allowing me to pick him up and examine him without putting up a fuss (not normal - this is not one of the birds that I can usually 'pick up' without a fuss).

I checked him well - feet look good - no bugs - comb a little pale - cannot find a distended or squishy crop - eyes bright - no discharge or nasal issues that I can detect.

It was later at night so I seperated him for the evening and we'll see how he is this morning.
fl.gif
Hopefully I'm just paranoid and watch my birds too closely.
What are you doing to break broody??

I'm up early today - will be sure to let the big girls out first so Blueberry doesn't feel the need to yell/crow/otherwise get my attention.

The weird part is that we DO have a crowing boy - so what is up with her feeling the need? Ugh.

Are you POSITIVE she is not a he !!!
idunno.gif

I did a search on BYC about crowing hens. It sounds like it is pretty common.
roll.png
There's quite a few threads about it.

I hope we don't end up with anyone crowing. That would be a nightmare. I'd probably have to give up my birds. As it is, I'm so thankful Rhodie has finally figured out this whole egg-laying thing and is no longer squawking up a storm all day long like she was when she was learning to lay her first eggs. The first 3 that she laid had me very worried that she might have to go. She's given us 6 eggs so far (I haven't checked this morning). She squawks a little bit now, but not bad at all. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, they're back to being my happy, quiet little flock.

Quote: Good to hear.
Most of my hens were making it hard on the pullet and he wasn't protecting her yet, so I moved three of the worst offenders out for a few days.
I am rehoming two for sure, but wanted to try to keep one of my personal favorites.
Well he definitely figured out he was head honcho while she was away.
I went up there this morning and watched for a little while and he is still a little hostile towards her, but the only time he really got after her is if she and the Fav pullet got into it.
I will watch closely and hopefully they will work it out soon.
She does know who's boss though.
I was just suprised when all was said and done last night he was the one with the a little blood on his comb and she barely had a feather out of place.
Wich told me he wasn't really trying to hurt her. But it was a little scary.

And it made me think of you putting Eddie in with your hens that didn't know him.
Was there issues at the very start? Did they work it out pretty quick or did they just go ok this is the new boss and were fine with it?

Edit to add- CL, he found his voice last weekend. It's still pretty funny and not a complete crow, but he's trying.
clap.gif

Last edited:
Aaagh! I am trying to resist the temptation of ordering 6 LF Light Brahma hatching eggs. The 2nd coop isn't done yet. And, I promised myself I would never get chicks before a coop was ready ever again! Although, I keep thinking - if I get/hatch some Light Brahma's this fall, the chicks would be old enough to mix up the flocks in the spring and I'd be able to put Drama in with some Light Brahmas in the spring. Then I could get a medium-sized bird to mix in with my EE and RIR in the first coop.

Speaking of that... I'm really beginning to think our current coop is just too small for my big girl. She looks very uncomfortable in there. I think my Silkie dreams are over because I'm beginning to think I am going to have to use that 2nd coop for her. The doors are huge - and the coop is on the ground, so it is being built to be suitable for Brahmas or Silkies.

When my mom was staying with us the past few days, she was cracking me up. Every time Drama walked by, she'd say "Well, hello, Thanksgiving dinner." Now, when I look at Drama, it makes me chuckle because she does resemble a small turkey.
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom