Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the looks

i got from my silkies when me and my daughter pick them up today. The first is like i will kill you the second is what i was not doing anything. My daughter thought they were so awesome.

So I watched something interesting tonight.
I had seperated a few of my hens from the Fav Cockerel and pullet because they were really picking on the two. I left the EE's with them because they were being nice.
Well I wanted to see if I could reintroduce one of my favorites back into the flock so I don't have to get rid of all my layers.
The cockerel came running over and tried to mount her, she didn't like it. She went after him.
THe next thing I know the two of them are going at it!
I thought he was going to kill her!
But in the end, he was the one with the bloody comb and she didn't have even a missing feather or any out of place for that matter.
But she was definitely being really submissive.
On one hand I was proud of my boy because he was being "the man". But I was also petrified that he would really hurt her.
Eventually he pretty much was just using his head and neck to hold her down.
Has anyone experienced anything like this with their boys when they are trying to let everyone know that they are the boss?
Do you think he would actually try to kill her?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Kim

Terrie - (remember I'm in Omak - we are like neighbors in comparison to those from the wet side) - My tomatoes look AWFUL. I have NO peppers at all. This is the worst garden I have had in forever. I finally gave up and pulled out a few things. I also opened up part of my garden to my birds last night so that they could clean up weeds and some bugs who have all of a sudden showed up. I know whatever is left in there they will tear up, I don't care.

Hey, Terrie - You have orps don't you? or do you have bantam orps? I have LF.

Our non existent Spring was pretty non existent. 2 weeks of summer and we had frost last Friday. Pretty depressing.

I don't have chickens at all. I do have a buff Orpington duck in my gang of webbies. Does that count? :)

Blueberry looked at me - as if to say "it's about time" and then she let out a cock-a-doodle-doo while I looked on! Blueberry is having an identity crisis!?!
duc.gif

I've read that hens can take on the task of crowing if there isn't a rooster to do it for them. I didn't want to believe it. Oh goodness, I hope and pray none of mine ever pick up that skill. That would not be good!

I had seperated a few of my hens from the Fav Cockerel and pullet because they were really picking on the two. I left the EE's with them because they were being nice.
Well I wanted to see if I could reintroduce one of my favorites back into the flock so I don't have to get rid of all my layers.
The cockerel came running over and tried to mount her, she didn't like it. She went after him.
But in the end, he was the one with the bloody comb and she didn't have even a missing feather or any out of place for that matter.
On one hand I was proud of my boy because he was being "the man". But I was also petrified that he would really hurt her.
Has anyone experienced anything like this with their boys when they are trying to let everyone know that they are the boss?

Kim
He wants to spead his genes. Killing his hens would be counterproductive.

Kim
Yes, I've seen that with the boys asserting their dominance, putting the hens "in their place"...once she figures out that he is the boss, he should stop being quite so nasty to her. Eddie was doing that for a bit when the girls were raising chicks, and nobody wanted to have anything to do with him...he was a little..frustrated, we'll say...
wink.png

Quote: I wouldn't breed the 2nd one. The first one has some potential...they are quite young, I assume? The 1st one has a much better crest than the 2nd one, nice turquoise earlobes...his neck is a little long, and he could be rounder in general, but he's not bad...paired with some nice girls, he could give you some nice babies...
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom