Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaagh! I am trying to resist the temptation of ordering 6 LF Light Brahma hatching eggs. The 2nd coop isn't done yet. And, I promised myself I would never get chicks before a coop was ready ever again! Although, I keep thinking - if I get/hatch some Light Brahma's this fall, the chicks would be old enough to mix up the flocks in the spring and I'd be able to put Drama in with some Light Brahmas in the spring. Then I could get a medium-sized bird to mix in with my EE and RIR in the first coop.
Well, a few thoughts...

You'd have about 21 days from the time you set the eggs to work on the coop, plus an additional six or so weeks if you brood them indoors/elsewhere.
There are probably folks here that would be willing to come and help you finish coop #2, once you have the incentive of new birds to put in them.
Not all six eggs are likely to hatch, so you may not get a full half dozen new "small turkeys".
smile.png

Incubating is fun! I fully blame SadieSue for loaning me her bator and enabling me to have the experience.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to all the new folks! I've found this to be a great community to learn from, with many knowledgeable and supportive people.

First,
welcome-byc.gif
to all the new people.

I'm very excited. Always am for new babies. I just love them.

We have 8 new chicks. I hope they all grow up into hens that lay lots of blue eggs.

This one is a little blurry, sorry. Had to snap quick and it's with the phone.

Quote:
I have a cage we use for introducing bird - time out cage - etc. It's about 12' x 12'. I just stick her in there in the morning (not allowed near a nest) where she paces all day
sad.png
At night I put her on the roost - but have found her in the nest a couple times in the morning.
For what it's worth ..... this is what I do and have found it to work well. I have a "rabbit" cage. The cage is about 2'x2' I hang it so it can swing. I put the broody in with food and water and leave her there for 2-3 days. I have had very good results with this method. I really doubt you will break her by allowing her back on the roost at night.

Quote: You just set the bucket out there, and they climbed in?

Yes! He climbed in and couldn't get out. The bucket went out at 8:30 last night and this morning their was one solidly dead drowned rat. Ick, but effective. I was wondering how he got in and then couldn't get out, but the outside of the bucket has a handle so it was an easy jump onto there and then over the side. Once in the 6" of water he was waterlogged and had nothing to grip onto.

I don't like killing things, but I also don't like freeloading vermin skittering around my coop and over my head every night!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom