Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have a bantam & a LF hen for sale at the swap/sale this weekend in Ellensburg...both are about 1 year old and laying well (now).

Is anyone from the west side coming to the swap? I am desperately seeking a ride for a trio of Orloffs from a man in Black Diamond--he may be able to meet somewhere a long the way, though....

Nooooooooooooo! I keep checking and checking. Carmen is doing the squat for what it's worth. Believe me. Everybody will know about it when I get my first egg!

Quote:

Quote:
Yup. Tillapia I will be raising.

Ahah, I just finished a beautiful pairing in the breeding pen today. . .

Black Copper Marans

http://kippenjungle.nl/kipkiezer_bestanden/Fzwartroodberken.JPG

X

Duckwing diluted Blue Barred Araucana

http://kippenjungle.nl/kipkiezer_bestanden/blauwgeelkoekoek.JPG

=

30% chance Barred Copper Olive Egger
love.gif

http://kippenjungle.nl/kipkiezer_bestanden/Fzwartroodberkenkoekoek.JPG

http://kippenjungle.nl/kipkiezer_bestanden/zwartroodberkenkoekoek.JPG

OOOOOOOOOHHHH That sounds so cool...I am off to do a project pairing myself here as soon as I get back from fishing tomorrow...mine will require 4 generations though...

Last edited:
Quote:
I have aquired several wooden fruit boxes from the groceries and fruit markets...they work well, but the best thing all my broodies love is a pile of soft straw, make a dip in it with your hands, and put her eggs in there, wire this area off from the others, and give her water and feeder...once her babies hatch, they will be able to walk around and still get back under her.
If she is in a high box, the babies can fall out and not be able to get back under momma.
See the wonderful wire cages that 4-HPoultryMom just posted a page ago ?
Pile about 4" Soft straw or soft grass hay and wood curls, make a mountain about 8" high in a back corner, make a dip in the mountain, set her eggs in there, add the broody (she will love her own digs away from other birds that can harm her chicks) and add feeder/waterer as 4-HPoultryMom showed...and let her be.
Once the chicks hatch, they can run out and feed and when cold they can run back under mama without having to figure out how to get up in a big box....and don't forget when the chicks hatch you need marbles in the waterer...and maybe additional heat from a heat lamp until the chicks are fully fledged especially this time of year, who knows what kind of wierd winter we may have ?

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine are horrible with those little plastic white stakes you get when you buy potted plants, and they tell you what plant you bought. . . Ugh. . . See one lying around, and it's got huge bite marks in it in no time flat. Seriously, that could cut up one's insides.
hmm.png

ep.gif
I have never had mine do that, but how scarey!!!
The chickens love styrofoam, it is so popcorney!!
I use it to insulate the coop ceilings ONLY...as they will eat it !
They also LOVE the grey split water pipe insulation, ya know the ones that look like water noodles ?
They will go nuts trying to get at it...so does my air head pup dog....
rant.gif

Oh man. Ameraucana cock(erel)s sure are drama queens!! I have one boy who volunteered to walk himself right into the breeding pen with absolute excitement, so I tossed some girls in there with him. . . He was on them in no time. Which is good, really. Makes the job quick.

Then, I pulled the girls out and let the boy walk out. The next Ameraucana's turn was up. . . Hades. He's the drama queen. I put him in there, then put a beautiful black pullet in with him, and well - Things did NOT go well. For the second time. The pullet didn't like being in there, and knew that he wouldn't touch her if she perched somewhere. So she perched. He made a big fuss about that, trying to dance down below, then made his girly warning cry, then danced, then cried again. . . And so I gave up - I put another pullet in there, an older girl, to settle things a bit. By that time, Hades had just given up. . . He was far more interested in trying to get out of the breeding pen than of the new girl. She didn't even run away from him. . . But he didn't care. So, it was getting late, and both girls were mumbling on and on, complaining, so I put them back away. . . Then, I picked Mr. Drama up, and he sqeaked about it, then as soon as I put him to bed, he shut right up, knowing "Oh, this is right. . ."

btw, here's my Drama Queen in full glory.
big_smile.png

5036500937_fb4eaf00d5_o.jpg

Quote:
Mine are horrible with those little plastic white stakes you get when you buy potted plants, and they tell you what plant you bought. . . Ugh. . . See one lying around, and it's got huge bite marks in it in no time flat. Seriously, that could cut up one's insides.
hmm.png

ep.gif
I have never had mine do that, but how scarey!!!
The chickens love styrofoam, it is so popcorney!!
I use it to insulate the coop ceilings ONLY...as they will eat it !
They also LOVE the grey split water pipe insulation, ya know the ones that look like water noodles ?
They will go nuts trying to get at it...so does my air head pup dog....
rant.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom