Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Oh that is an awful big jump in temperature...but I am not a duck person.
I keep heat lamps on every coop I can when it gets that cold....or at least have insulated and double paned windows....I don't know, I would put a lamp in but high enough so they are not too warm, you want them to get used to the cold.

Thanks so much for answering. I felt very uncomfortable leaving them out tonight, so they are back in my bathroom. I think I will get a heat lamp and a thermostat put into the house tomorrow and ease the temp down for them at night until they are used to the cold. Then I will just leave the door open at night and they can decided if they want to stay in or out.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Masaging the crop, flushing with warm saline, an end of grass showed itself so I kept rubbing her crop, and it eventually came all the way out. The blade of grass was about 13 inches long... Silly bird.

This is the sweetest little blue hen...
50801_blue_hen_014.jpg

I will keep working on her, and get DH to help and maybe look down her throat...
That wasn't one of the sisters was it ?
I am going to try to see down her throat and maybe get ahold of something...

Last edited:
ATTENTION EVERYBODY Please read and pay attention to this. ANYTIME you use a heat lamp DO NOT use one of those cheap clamp on type fixtures. They are the makings of a fire !!!! ONLY use a fixture with a ceramic socket that is rated for the size of your bulb (watts) or greater.
PLEASE spare yourself the heartache of having to tell all of us that you had a fire because you tried to use a $5 light instead of a $15 light.

AND, use a seperate piece of wire to attach it to the ceiling, etc, so if a bird flies up, it cannot knock the light off and onto the floor...A duck did that last spring to some poor soul, remember ?
sad.png

Last edited:
Besides clamping your light or how ever you attach it run the cord twice around the wood.
That way it matters not what clamp or what ever it is you are using to attach fixture it breaks your light not going anywhere.

Thanks for the advice and warnings. They will be well heeded. I don't think we have 2 circuits out there, but we might because we have an electric fence and I know my husband said he had to do something to make sure the circuits wouldn't be overloaded.

Was going to use the 250w infrared light I had used for their brooder. Or would a regular non-light giving heat lamp be better? Someone said if I use the ceramic heat lamp that I should put a night light in as well so they won't freak-out at any weird noises. We are going to put a hook with one of those butterfly things that go into the hole first so that the hook will be more secure and then bend the hook so that the lamp can't slip off. The extra wire sounds like a good idea as well. It also has the cage which I realize would be useless if it fell into the bedding. It's not a huge house 4'x4'. We only have the 4 ducks and from what I have read, they seem to prefer to stay out side anyway. We were more concerned about inclement weather. I would rather have them in at night anyway, but my husband insists the run is as predator proof as he could make it. Swears nothing could get in there.

Last edited:
Hmm, we are not planning on supplementing our girls with extra light.

The new girls got to go outside under supervision this weekend. They loved having grass on their feet for a few hours.
Again, our new bantam Araucanas:
54467_cimg3619.jpg

They're doing well. We're still trying to figure out names.

Help us out! Our thoughts are (white & golden-blue, respectively):

Pebbles & Bam-Bam
Tartar & FishStick
Latte & Mocha
Popcorn & Peanut
Mourning & SpazzMaTazz
Lilo & Stitch
MaryAnn & Ginger
Luna & Notte
?? & ??

Status
Not open for further replies.