Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

I usually try and avoid all the hatching posts because I'm really tempted to use that Hovabator I bought from Blueducklings, and I really don't need any more chicks! I'm not building another coop, wether DH wants to or not!

I live in the Tacoma city limits and have four 10-week old chicks (although they pretty much look like chickens to me..). One of each ; a Black Jersey Giant (the closest I'll probably get to owning a turkey), a Speckled Sussex, a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Gold Laced Wyandotte. My husband was dead set against me getting chickens - but I got them anyway. I did all of the research and built the coop and run myself. Secretly, I'm pretty sure he likes the chickens....

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure he does! They just don't like us to know they do! Welcome to the chicken addiction!!! Lots of enablers here so beware... chicken math will get ya!
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Nice set up. How did you get the poles for on the top? - the ones going across.

The curved ones? They came with the Craigs list kennel. 10 panels that were 6x6(3 gates) and the curved top supports all for 75$! There are 2 other curved bars that are no up yet. So a total of 6. Awesome blessing of a deal!

Last edited:
OK I am in serious need of some help here. I have a very bad addiction NO NOT CHICKENS. This is a lot more serious. It is BEES !!!! This afternoon I got another call of a swarm. I couldn't resist I had to go. This was the hardest of the five in the last 2 weeks. Mostly it was harder since DW wanted to go as she has never seen me catch a swarm. So since I was working alone it was more of a job trying to hole the box and cut off the tree limb they were on. I thought I had em in the box but waited a bit so they could settle into the box. Wel they all went up under the back of the truck so I had to climb under there with the hive and do it all again. Was pretty funny I had a pretty good audience until I swept the bees into the box and they were flying all around me. Most of the crowd decided they didnt want anything to do with that.

Quote:
Oh, dandy!

And what a concept: coops first, chickens after!

Oh if that were only true!!!! I had about 36 chicks before the coops ever came to mind!
tongue.png
You only realize how fast they grow when they are in your family room. And that many can stink things up quick, so we found!
lol.png

Then we found those crates on Craigs list and the fun began!

Quote:
Frantically searching for that piece of mail that had the address of an austra farmer in north bend. Yes there it is. And how do I love the sattelite view of map quest. Shows me the easiest way to the coop.

gig.gif

DH said he'll put a spotlight on the coop for ya , he wants none of them nasty white eggs! "Eggs shouldn't be white and Cheddar shouldn't be yellow (orange)!" But ya gotta take that spastic OE roo from Chickielady! I don't care if he's eaten. He's not mean, but he squaks and screams and tries to wedge himself through all sorts of places he wont fit whenever a human comes near. Closed the coop door tonight, and when I walked in, he tried flying behind a 2X4 that supports the chicken wire that divides the 2 pens inside the coop. He somehow managed to shove his head behind the post, getting it stuck between 2 staples with one leg above his head and his wings all wonky. Stupid boy. Looked painful, and he was squaking like it was. Took him all of 2 seconds to get in that position and took me 2 minutes to untangle him 15 to calm him down. He's walking normal and flapping his wings, so he can't be too hurt!

The Austra whites are kinda cute. They had spots as chicks, and now one of them is starting to show her spots again. Looks a little bit like a Dalmation! They are not the calmest birds, but they aint crazy like that OE!!! They avoid letting me pick them up in the daytime, but when they are roosting they are calm and let me pet them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom