Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried hard-boiling my eggs at 8-9 days after laying, and it worked fine. I haven't taken a chance on newer ones yet.

I have a broody Orpington! I'd love to get some dark (or blue) eggs for her to sit on...but I'm going to be gone for a month, and I'd rather be here to watch over the proceedings. I wonder if she will still be broody in a couple of months...?

Is anyone here planning to be at the PNPA show in Puyallup next Saturday? I'm thinking about going there (for the Mother Earth fair).

Well, being a transplant, I'm not sure where Kitsap County is. But I do have a 3 Black Copper adolescents, 2 of which I think are girls, and I might part with one! Wish someone would give the roo a home, he's stunning, but we have nothing but mud in the winter. It would be a shame to put him in the pot.
Kitsap is west of Seattle, north of Gig Harbor. Would the girls be social enough, do you think? We have an enclosed coop/run and the new lady would have to get along well with the others. I'd love the roo, bet he's a beauty, but I think Bob, our Coronation Sussex roo, would object :)

--Deborah

I tried hard-boiling my eggs at 8-9 days after laying, and it worked fine. I haven't taken a chance on newer ones yet.

I have a broody Orpington! I'd love to get some dark (or blue) eggs for her to sit on...but I'm going to be gone for a month, and I'd rather be here to watch over the proceedings. I wonder if she will still be broody in a couple of months...?

Is anyone here planning to be at the PNPA show in Puyallup next Saturday? I'm thinking about going there (for the Mother Earth fair).
I would not make her wait. The whole time she is broody - she will be cramped, not eating nor drinking normally, etc.

I would not make her wait. The whole time she is broody - she will be cramped, not eating nor drinking normally, etc.

I'll be out of town June 27th to July 25th. My husband will be gone the second half of that period, and we'll be paying a petsitter to come and feed the chickens. I assume they'll be in the coop/run pretty much all the time (or just out during the time she walks the dog). If I got some eggs for the broody girl right now, they'd hatch before I leave, but the new chicks and all the grown pullets would be shut inside together. Do you think I should go ahead with that? It just doesn't sound good to me...

Oh - I can always use herbs! Both for soap making and to put in the chicken nest boxes - supposed to be very good for them =) Mint, lavender & rosemary are the ones I use the most of for soaps.

I have so much Lemon Balm it's out of control! So, if ever you are out in West Olympia, give me a holler. With it's calming and mosquito repellant properties, not to mention the lovely smell, I bet it would make a terrific soap or bath lotion. And, it's FREE!

Last edited:
sometimes it you put bluekote on the red, the pecking will stop. I had some issues 2 years ago with my first chicks, and I had to pull the most aggressive one out and I carried her around with me for a few hours. It settled our problems, and she is now the friendliest of all my hens!
Thank you! I got some of the bluekote today, I will see how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom