Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I spent a few hours at the MEN fair today. It was a beautiful relaxing day. I picked up a few samples of chicken feed, other assorted things, a chicken book that I had signed by the author who was also a very entertaining speaker! She gave a talk on "Chicken Whispering - the things you learn from your chickens", something like that. Did anyone else see her yesterday?

Landscaping, gravel and paving stone patio is being worked on in the backyard this past week, although the timing probably could have been a LOT better with DH losing his job anytime in the next month. Who's seen liquor in their neighborhood grocery store yet? That's why DH is out of a job. After 30 years as a Washington State Liquor Control Board employee where he managed liquor stores for many years, and was near to ending his career by working in the Distribution Warehouse in Seattle, he is no longer a state employee.

He is eligible for retirement and Social Security, but this is a man who likes to work, so I've been helping him fill out some applications online for the fun new alcohol oriented stores opening up near here. It's what he knows, it's what he enjoys working with. Wish us luck. This man does not like to sit still.

So - has anyone else here gotten tired of me complaining about the neighbors dogs? *I* sure have! I've gotten tired of the fence fighting, and my own voice hollering at the neighbors to come get their dogs off of my fence, arguing with my husband because our own property wasn't safe for my chickens, my dogs OR me anymore, (since the biting incident).

Since our landscaper is also a fence builder, we had a chat this past week about finding a more permanent solution to my neighbor's wild dogs. I had to convince DH this would definitely improve the quality of our lives. Challenges like the crooked tree line on the back of our property prevented DH from every building a wooden fence there himself but our young landscaper is doing what he can. It's not perfect, but I think it's going to make a difference. I can feel myself starting to relax after being on edge for the past 3 months...

Here's what we started with - is it any wonder I wasn't feeling safe any longer? It was sufficient for years but couldn't stand up to 3 big dogs jumping on it, lunging at it, digging at it. Just beyond the wire fence is a small ledge that is our property. It drops down a small rock wall into the neighbors yard. But there is nothing preventing them from jumping up onto our ledge. I'm still trying to convince them they need a fence on their property.
Facing South -

And here's what we came home to today!

Facing North last week -

Facing North today!
WOW...what a nice fence! No more dog issue!!

Went to Mother Earth today with my daughter. We saw Pat Foreman at a couple of different Chicken talks. She is launching a website www.chickensforyou.com soon. Very interesting. We bought too much but had a great time. I may change my gardening plans and incorporate more of her ideas.

My daughter saw the bobcat checking out our chickens again yesterday. I was rounding them up to get them back in at the time.

Does anyone know of a good place to get worms for a worm bin? I know we have lots in our manure pile but do I have time to hunt down a pound of them?
Sounds like a nice time. Wish I had gone.

We seen a bobcat in our area too. NOT my idea of fun:(

I finally sold the "extra" orpingtons that I hatched in the incubator, and here are the ones that got to stay. So my flock is complete for the time being!
wink.png

I spent the weekend working on our new house. Cleaning, sanitizing, bleaching.... Moving cabinets around in the kitchen and having our electrician friend over to help us figure out how in the world to get 220 into the kitchen for the stove and water heater... did I mention that right now it is just a wood cook stove with a steam water heater attached to it??? definately needs a change.... There is one 220 in the whole place on the front porch for the dryer... um nope I don't want my washer and dryer on the front porch so that's moving to back porch. This house is a lot of work but I am loving it... Next is painting the kitchen and fixing the floor from the layers upon layers of linolieum that is on it... last fix that was done to it involved plywood floor down and laminate on top of it. but Not move the stove or cabinets... just fit around them.

YIKES!!!

soon It will be time to relocate the current chicken pen off the railroad land and back onto the property. it's half and half at the moment... Of course I want it better secured...

I ended up getting rid of 2 of my runner ducks today... Where we are now, a guy down the street has 1 duck and was looking for friends for it. so he came and got 2 of the runners. Less for me to have to move.

I have 4 turkeys and 18 chicks in brooders in the house that have hatched. It is pretty cool. The turkey's are so silly.

I wish I could have gone to the mother earth show.. but i did get a lot accomplished. Although it has involved 2 gallons of bleach so far.

My dining room was the "Bird Room" before we got the place. So bleach bleach and even more bleach, walls, ceilings and floors. I am taking no chances...

Well that was my weekend, Hope everyone else had a good one!!!

So where was everybody this weekend? Things are busy here but I got talked into doing both shows and I'm glad I did. I sent 5 of Rob's araucanas to the PNPA Show at the Mother Earth Fair. Thank goodness I also talked my neighbor into bringing her Jersey Giant and Maran roos. Between us, we were half the entry! I hope they don't get discouraged and give up on us WA chicken people- we could use another local show. (I always wanted to win Best in Show- I just hoped to defeat more than 14 birds when I did it....) After church today, I picked up Rob's araucanas at the fair and then drove to Elma where I'd sent ahead a trio of my Polish with a friend this morning. Lo and behold, the hen won Reserve of Show out of the trio! Very cool! So that was my chicken weekend- BIS and Reserve BIS with 8 birds. Bet I never do that again! Anyway, hope to see more BYC peeps if we do these shows again. Now we're done until summer fairs. Whew!
Congratulations on your chickens' awards!

Here's what we started with - is it any wonder I wasn't feeling safe any longer? It was sufficient for years but couldn't stand up to 3 big dogs jumping on it, lunging at it, digging at it. Just beyond the wire fence is a small ledge that is our property. It drops down a small rock wall into the neighbors yard. But there is nothing preventing them from jumping up onto our ledge. I'm still trying to convince them they need a fence on their property.
Wow Dana, that new fence is so nice! It looks good and will be worth more than the cost in peace of mind and relaxation for you, Gryffin and your flock.
clap.gif

Bummer about your DH's job though...I hope he finds something to keep him occupied.

I spent the weekend working on our new house. Cleaning, sanitizing, bleaching.... Moving cabinets around in the kitchen and having our electrician friend over to help us figure out how in the world to get 220 into the kitchen for the stove and water heater... did I mention that right now it is just a wood cook stove with a steam water heater attached to it??? definately needs a change.... There is one 220 in the whole place on the front porch for the dryer... um nope I don't want my washer and dryer on the front porch so that's moving to back porch. This house is a lot of work but I am loving it... Next is painting the kitchen and fixing the floor from the layers upon layers of linolieum that is on it... last fix that was done to it involved plywood floor down and laminate on top of it. but Not move the stove or cabinets... just fit around them.

YIKES!!!

soon It will be time to relocate the current chicken pen off the railroad land and back onto the property. it's half and half at the moment... Of course I want it better secured...

I ended up getting rid of 2 of my runner ducks today... Where we are now, a guy down the street has 1 duck and was looking for friends for it. so he came and got 2 of the runners. Less for me to have to move.

I have 4 turkeys and 18 chicks in brooders in the house that have hatched. It is pretty cool. The turkey's are so silly.

I wish I could have gone to the mother earth show.. but i did get a lot accomplished. Although it has involved 2 gallons of bleach so far.

My dining room was the "Bird Room" before we got the place. So bleach bleach and even more bleach, walls, ceilings and floors. I am taking no chances...

Well that was my weekend, Hope everyone else had a good one!!!

Wow that's a lot of work. We had to run new lines in our house to upgrade it. The electricians had a very difficult time of it even with us ripping open part of the walls for them. Just not a lot of room in old houses. I feel for you on getting those lines run.

I'd have to paint after scrubbing in the dinning room. Don't think I'd feel well with just the scrubbing.

DH and I spent a few hours at the MEN fair today. It was a beautiful relaxing day. I picked up a few samples of chicken feed, other assorted things, a chicken book that I had signed by the author who was also a very entertaining speaker! She gave a talk on "Chicken Whispering - the things you learn from your chickens", something like that. Did anyone else see her yesterday?
Would that book by chance be the same one that was on sale at Stevenson. I gave 2 copies to friends who were suppoda report back about the book but neither one has yet.
VERY nice looking fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom