Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Yeah, it's been a really awful day...and I only got 4 hours of sleep before the PO called, and I have to work tonight...I see lots of tears in my future...my poor coworkers! :)

Two separate people have said the same thing, that they think they may have been shipped with dry ice...even someone at my PO said that to the postmaster on the shippers end...you'd think that dry ice would be one of those things that would never get shipped with live animals in an enclosed space!!! They came from Maryland, but I've gotten birds from there before that took even longer than these, with no problems...
Dry Ice will suck the Oxygen right out of the box~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~and freeze their lungs, no doubt.
You could do a necropsy...

I get mine from eggcartons.com and depending on how many you need, could probably give you some. They look like this:
I got some too !
And the stickers to go with with safe handling instructions.
I also buy Jumbo styrofoam cartons (for Turkeys, Jersey Giants & duck eggs) and paper cartons for my chookies.
By the hundreds...but how to get a handful to you ?

OMG OMG OMG!!! I just got word that a visiting toddler discovered a tiny white egg next to the coop! That means one of my two Exchequer Leghorn pullets is finally laying at last!!! Here is a pic of it in between our blue mutt's egg and our Welsummer's egg. In the process of making this post I just heard that another tiny white egg was discovered inside the coop!!!

wee.gif

Yeah, I HAVE to see if these two eggs are fertile...
I'd be getting the incubator fired up right now !
yippiechickie.gif

Rest the eggs over night & set them in the A.M. when you get home.
It is so hard to work with just 1 bird.......the more you have to work with, the better the cances are that you will be able to build a flock by spring.
Do you know if she was in a pen w/ a cockerel ?

Last edited:

OMG OMG OMG!!! I just got word that a visiting toddler discovered a tiny white egg next to the coop! That means one of my two Exchequer Leghorn pullets is finally laying at last!!! Here is a pic of it in between our blue mutt's egg and our Welsummer's egg. In the process of making this post I just heard that another tiny white egg was discovered inside the coop!!!

wee.gif
celebrate.gif

I thought the dogs had to wear a collar that reacts to the invisable fence ?
They do now! They had looked into it before but thought it was too pricey, but after a 3 more chickens and chasing the neighbors horse around and some complaints to animal control by the horse owner, they decided to get the fence. I only hear their dogs now.

We have an invisible fence for our dogs. Shasta tests it all the time. we installed it ourselves, not burried in the part that goes through the woods. Got it caught in the weed-eater and still need to repair it! She will escape to go after bears, but otherwise rarely leaves the property even when she is on the wrong side of the fence. If the weather is hot, she will escape and lie in the neighbor's pond. I should get her a kiddie pool.

Hey guys....it's my turn to
hit.gif
So ...
hit.gif

I just received 2 huge boxes of birds from the good ol' USPS, (note, said with maximum amount of hostility possible at the moment) and except for one bantam pullet, they are all dead.

The boxes are completely intact, without a single ding, I can't imagine what the hell happened.

I am absolutely sick to my stomach right now. The poor things are still in their boxes, I can't even look at them right now.

Some of these were EXTREMELY rare bantam white Faverolles...sent to me in an attempt to keep them from being lost as a variety, as I can count on 2 fingers the number of people that I know of that are breeding them...luckily I have some bantam black males to breed this little girl to, and I am going to guard her with my life....

That is awful! My heart breaks hearing stories like that.

WOW! over 8500 pages in the Washingtonian forum, we rock this chicken thing (well, technically not me yet, I haven't received my backyard babies yet)! I was able to read the first few pages, and the last few pages, but there was a lot in the middle I didn't have time to catch-up on
caf.gif

I was very sad reading a few posts, but so grateful you were able to share. Newbies like me need all the info we can get, the good, the bad & the ugly
th.gif

I am in the South Puget Sound's very own Tac Town. We just moved back home from Des Moines, IA. What a place! People were amazing, weather, not so much. We came back home to be with my family, we all just had to go through the worst thing imaginable. My brother, 32, committed suicide
hit.gif
May nobody ever have to go through that ever again.

My dog was my best friend when I was told the news 1,600 miles away. I didn't think dogs cried until then, he just leaned against my shoulder and bawled with me :0) such a sweetie-poo. My old boss had a golden-doodle that got preggers by the Australian Shepherd that jump the fence, he said "Ya want a dog?!"

^^^ Isn't he gorgeous! Anyway... I should have posted in Random Ramblings! We are a family who just adores living creatures, they are just so much more sincere than people. One day we will have that farm, but for now, we are stuck in a good sized lot in the city. WE! I keep talking about us and y'all just don't have any idea who "we" are! There are 7 of us total, Hubs & I with our 4 boys (yes, four of them) and our little Ellie, who turned a year last month, poor girl...all those boys! Our dog's name is Raider and we have a chinchilla names Scarface, she was the runt and had her ear clipped by a sibling, poor dear. So that's us in a funky nut shell!
Thanks for the introduction - gorgeuous dog!

I'm so sorry about your brother, so tragic. I'm glad you have such a strong bond with your dog to help you through.

Quote: I use to give my "Fred" peanutbutter on a saltine, PB up and he made the most rediculous faces and glared at me, but he always came back for more. He too loved PB. Jake on the other hand can take it or leave it, but loves Premium Saltines, other brands not so much. Dogs are funny people.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom