Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you guys can stand more chicken pics -

Integration has begun for real in the yard. DH has been amazingly tolerant of having chickens in the house, but the time has come for them to be grown up chickens. Too bad we can't re purpose chicken dust because I'm left with a ton of it in the computer room which can't be good for the computer! (DH has been hinting he needs a new one anyway. He may get his wish soon.)

Utilizing my X-pen which I LOVE for integration. For those who ever need to quarantine or gradually introduce chickens to one another, this is a great relatively inexpensive tool. Occasionally you can find the collapsible pens on Craigslist. I would definitely recommend you invest in a folding cover for it. Since I'm using it for chicks or bantams, I don't want them to get carried away, so a cover is clipped to the pen. The girls have an opportunity to visit during the day through the sides of their pens and at night the silkies sleep in a small crate INSIDE the X-pen so they're more secure.

My original Silkies are in the VF coop on the left. Covered X-pen set up next to it for the next few days until I feel pretty certain everyone can live together peacefully.

Also,here are a few photos of my pet quality girl that I picked up from Catdance as a souvenir the day KMHunter and I visited. This hen will never win any beauty contests, but what she lacks in looks she makes up for in personality!
This was a girl taken from a Silkie holding pen with about 30 other Silkies so she'd not had any individual attention. A few weeks in the house with me though and she's turned into a love monger. She craves attention and relaxes as soon as I pick her up. She adores being held and petted. Introducing the fabulous "Pearlie June!"

"What do you mean I wouldn't win any beauty contests?"

"Have you taken a look at my fabulously fluffy butt lately? How's that for beauty?"

"Beauty Schmeauty - I rule the roost. Now leave me alone. It's lunchtime".

Soon Pearlie June and the FRF babies as of yet un-named, will be joining my original Catdance babies, Isadora and Lucille. Lucille is my DD's lavender and also the chick in my avatar, and Isadora is my pretty black pullet. I'm thinking about possibly entering Isadora in the next poultry show in November. It would be my first time so I'd have to find out how to enter and how to groom and prep a chicken for her show debut! I think she has nice type, but to my very untrained eye I really don't know. I guess entering her for a judge's critique would be a good educational experience for me.
I did hear something interesting from Karen Larsen of Catdance. She says winning in a poultry show can often just be capturing the right moment in time. What constitutes a quality show chicken one day might not apply at the next show. Different judge, different condition of the chicken. I thought that was interesting.

Here are our lovelies, Isadora and Lucille hanging out in their run under the VF coop. Not great picture quality - a quick and dirty shot with the iPhone.

Last edited:
FlyRobinFly... I'm so glad I got to meet you today! Thank you for the egg cartons. They are cute. Sorry my kid was so quiet - he'll warm up and talk, especially if he's doing something he enjoys. Being in or around stores has never been a comfort zone for him, so he pretty much shut down.
It was great to meet you too, and I'm glad you like the cartons.
smile.png

Apology unnecessary, I thought your son was great...he was remarkably patient and well mannered despite being somewhere he wasn't really excited about, which is why I made a point to compliment him on his behavior. He is a very nice young man and I look forward to showing him around the museum.

The last two nights I've had strange dreams about them. One dream - little baby "squinky" chicks hatched - and I asked them why they looked like tiny rubber chickens, and they said because I messed up the humidity and they dried into rubber chickens. Tiny talking rubber chickens... good grief!
th.gif
They were also wearing little rubber Hawaiian shirts. Maybe I need a vacation.
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Hello fellow Washingtonians! I just wanted to introduce myself since I am very new to this website! I am Leah, I live in Woodinville, and I have 5 chickens and 2 ducks (so far lol). Looking forward to making some new friends!
welcome-byc.gif

There are some wonderful peeps up in your way, and this thread has some great, supportive folks.

Integration has begun for real in the yard. DH has been amazingly tolerant of having chickens in the house, but the time has come for them to be grown up chickens. Too bad we can't re purpose chicken dust because I'm left with a ton of it in the computer room which can't be good for the computer! (DH has been hinting he needs a new one anyway. He may get his wish soon.)

Utilizing my X-pen which I LOVE for integration. For those who ever need to quarantine or gradually introduce chickens to one another, this is a great relatively inexpensive tool. Occasionally you can find the collapsible pens on Craigslist. I would definitely recommend you invest in a folding cover for it. Since I'm using it for chicks or bantams, I don't want them to get carried away, so a cover is clipped to the pen. The girls have an opportunity to visit during the day through the sides of their pens and at night the silkies sleep in a small crate INSIDE the X-pen so they're more secure.

My original Silkies are in the VF coop on the left. Covered X-pen set up next to it for the next few days until I feel pretty certain everyone can live together peacefully.

Also,here are a few photos of my pet quality girl that I picked up from Catdance as a souvenir the day KMHunter and I visited. This hen will never win any beauty contests, but what she lacks in looks she makes up for in personality!
This was a girl taken from a Silkie holding pen with about 30 other Silkies so she'd not had any individual attention. A few weeks in the house with me though and she's turned into a love monger. She craves attention and relaxes as soon as I pick her up. She adores being held and petted. Introducing the fabulous "Pearlie June!"

"What do you mean I wouldn't win any beauty contests?"

"Have you taken a look at my fabulously fluffy butt lately? How's that for beauty?"

"Beauty Schmeuty - I rule the roost. Now leave me alone. It's lunchtime".

Soon Pearlie June and the FRF babies as of yet un-named, will be joining my original Catdance babies, Isadora and Lucille. Lucille is my DD's lavender and also the chick in my avatar, and Isadora is my pretty black pullet. I'm thinking about possibly entering Isadora in the next poultry show in November. It would be my first time so I'd have to find out how to enter and how to groom and prep a chicken for her show debut! I think she has nice type, but to my very untrained eye I really don't know. I guess entering her for a judge's critique would be a good educational experience for me.
I did hear something interesting from Karen Larsen of Catdance. She says winning in a poultry show can often just be capturing the right moment in time. What constitutes a quality show chicken one day might not apply at the next show. Different judge, different condition of the chicken. I thought that was interesting.

Here are our lovelies, Isadora and Lucille hanging out in their run under the VF coop. Not great picture quality - a quick and dirty shot with the iPhone.

Great pics, I love them! I think Pearlie June is beautiful, but I don't know what makes a SQ silkie, lol. Thanks for the information on X-pens. I've got two of them out in the garage that I picked up years ago for the dogs and forgot about. I'll have to find covers for them. When you say "crate" do you mean a dog or cat crate? One of the wire ones with a tray in the bottom, or a plastic and wire carrier?

I'm trying to stay away from my incubator, but it's a losing battle. I've been checking it about every 30 minutes. Day 20 starts in the next hour, and I keep hoping to see pipping or hear something. I really want my eggs to hatch and be healthy!

Jennifer

My, oh, my!
I leave for a couple days to throw my daughter a Sweet Sixteen party and now I'm 300 plus posts behind!!!
It was a fabulous party, if I say so myself!
I think we had close to 50 guests.
So much fun starting with a DJ for the first 4 plus hours and ending with a bunch of really nice kids all cuddled around the fire pit talking into the night.
Here's a photo of the cake. (I'd be happy to send contact information for the baker if you are looking for something special. Love her work!)
I love my chickens, I love having parties but ...... I better get to work soon!
On the other hand, what's another few minutes on BYC gonna hurt, right?
And we love having you here!
hugs.gif

Looks like it was a great party, and I hope your daughter enjoyed it. Between this picture and Renee talking about cupcake toppers, I now have a massive cupcake craving.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I'd really like one too! Let us know when you have some info Dawn!

wow - that is a lot of people interested! There is probably going to be a limit on how many I can purchase - maybe we should look at getting a case ourselves! I'll dig and see what I can see =)
Dawn, since you and I are members, we are able to do a special order if need be.

Love these pictures, SadieSue! Your Silkie flock is beautiful. I'm keeping fingers, toes, wings, etc. crossed that the two I hatched for you are girls as well.
fl.gif

I find that comment about shows applies to anything that is exhibited...poultry, dogs, horses, artwork...you are paying for the judge's opinion and different show, different day, different outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom