Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I have not visited in a while, and now I'm 200 posts behind.

I have been busy studying for my Enrolled Agent Tax exams with the IRS, and this morning I passed the second test (I did the first one 13 days ago) - one to go!

I was feeling all happy about passing the exam (in Puyallup at 7:30 am), came home and saw a horrific scene in my backyard that took away any good feeling I had.

The kids were playing video games and had let the chickens out, but ignored the dogs who were stil in their crates. I yelled at the kids, followed the dogs out to check on all the waterers and feeders and I saw Luna, the white sussex lying in the yard near the coop where she likes to hang out, neck twisted and rolled partway under her, and much of her neck and shoulders and part of a wing eaten away with bones sticking out, and she was still breathing!!! I yelled for my husband who came out and finished her off. Then I yelled at my kids for letting the chickens out without their guard dogs. I'm thinking it was a raccoon. A few weeks ago I found another hen in the same area, injured in the same spot. That injury was minor in comparison. I think I had scared off whatever the predator was there when the attack started, but the hen must have died of a hear attack. Poor Luna was still alive and it is awful to think of what the poor girl must have endured. She was such a sweet hen. I still have 10 roosters, but my supply of hens is going down.
APPLESAUCE!!

Poor Luna!
hit.gif

mikeyb

Thanks for the list - we have recently eaten products on it, and have had some pretty bad bouts of GI stuff going on, but I was unaware that the list went beyond TJ's peanut butter.

Now I have Skippy - at least until this all clears up.

And this was all after my BF spent the entire night last night sitting under the pine tree with his dog, a flashlight, and a book, guarding against that raccoon that had just been chased off by our neighbor. So, literally zero sleep before he had to get working on the coop to make it remotely suitable. Now he's at band practice till 10pm. Poor thing. Best chicken papa ever!!!
love.gif

Awww... that's sweet!

I'm still a newbie... so I don't know much... but you mentioned they are leghorns. I've heard that leghorns can be flighty - so keeping them down from the tree may be a constant challenge. I would recommend putting a roost bar as high as you can in the coop. That might help them feel more comfortable to stay in there.

Hi all!

I have been busy studying for my Enrolled Agent Tax exams with the IRS, and this morning I passed the second test (I did the first one 13 days ago) - one to go!

I was feeling all happy about passing the exam (in Puyallup at 7:30 am), came home and saw a horrific scene in my backyard that took away any good feeling I had.

The kids were playing video games and had let the chickens out, but ignored the dogs who were stil in their crates. I yelled at the kids, followed the dogs out to check on all the waterers and feeders and I saw Luna, the white sussex lying in the yard near the coop where she likes to hang out, neck twisted and rolled partway under her, and much of her neck and shoulders and part of a wing eaten away with bones sticking out, and she was still breathing!!! I yelled for my husband who came out and finished her off. Then I yelled at my kids for letting the chickens out without their guard dogs. I'm thinking it was a raccoon. A few weeks ago I found another hen in the same area, injured in the same spot. That injury was minor in comparison. I think I had scared off whatever the predator was there when the attack started, but the hen must have died of a hear attack. Poor Luna was still alive and it is awful to think of what the poor girl must have endured. She was such a sweet hen. I still have 10 roosters, but my supply of hens is going down.

I can't even imagine how terrible that is (and don't want to). I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hi all!

So Sorry!
hugs.gif

Hi all!

Congrats on passing the exam.

And... I'm so sorry!

Hi all!

Good job passing your test!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Luna though, poor girl!
hit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom