Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the temporary coop. My wonderful BF has worked really hard on it. It's a shame it's going to be torn down soon, but the coop we had just wasn't big enough, and we needed a better one to keep them in since all your warnings came true and a raccoon attacked them in the tree.
cool.png

It's not terribly pretty, but it is definitely secure. The A-frame on the left was the original coop. One side of the frame is a hatch, which has now been converted to a roof. All we had was fiber board to use as roofing, but it will do for now. The bottom is hardware cloth with particle board laid over it. The wall on the right is just a pallet, and it can easily be removed for maintenance and cleaning.

The chickens are so used to roosting in the tree that it's not easy to get them into the coop!! Especially those flighty little Leghorns!!! And I don't really think this one is large enough to leave them locked in for days on end to get them used to it as "home". Hmm... what to do...

Quote:
I thought Seattle use to have those when I was a kid downtown.
Wish I had the $$$$$$$$$.
Love that clock.
They did but a lot of places got rid of them for some STUPID reason. If you have ever been to the Maltby Cafe, (In Maltby, Snohomish county) there is a small street corner clock in the parking lot/driveway and that one was also built by Jimmy Collier.
I have two other clocks built by him, one is a grandfather clock (not for sale) and another huge street clock (also not for sale). Let me see if I have a pic of the other street clock......
Well I can't find one durring the day so you can see the details but this is one of my favorite pics.

This one you can see both clocks, as if you had just come in our drive way.
Wow, those are beautiful pictures. Those clocks look wonderful.

Here's the temporary coop. My wonderful BF has worked really hard on it. It's a shame it's going to be torn down soon, but the coop we had just wasn't big enough, and we needed a better one to keep them in since all your warnings came true and a raccoon attacked them in the tree. :cool:

It's not terribly pretty, but it is definitely secure. The A-frame on the left was the original coop. One side of the frame is a hatch, which has now been converted to a roof. All we had was fiber board to use as roofing, but it will do for now. The bottom is hardware cloth with particle board laid over it. The wall on the right is just a pallet, and it can easily be removed for maintenance and cleaning.

The chickens are so used to roosting in the tree that it's not easy to get them into the coop!! Especially those flighty little Leghorns!!! And I don't really think this one is large enough to leave them locked in for days on end to get them used to it as "home". Hmm... what to do...

You don't have to leave them in there to get used to it, but unfortunately it does mean that you will have to put them in every night. They either will get the idea or you will have the other coop finished first. Lol! But good for you and BF for getting it done fast! I hope your Wellie is doing better. You might be surprised at what they can survive.

Holiday Bazaar-Vendor's Wanted! (Monroe, WA)

Date: 2012-10-08, 8:21PM PDT
Reply to this postReply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Join the Northwest Equine Stewardship Center in Monroe, WA on December 1st. We are having our annual holiday bazaar from 11-3pm.

Holiday Bazaar Extravaganza Vendor Information
The bazaar will take place at the NWESC facility (9812 215th Avenue SE, Snohomish). All proceeds from the event will directly benefit the equines that NWESC serves.
At this time we are offering two vendor options as follows:
• 6' X 8' space - $25.00 • 8' X 10' space - $40.00

Some items of note:
 The vendor area will be located in the covered arena (with outdoor heaters!)
 The covered arena has 4' tall walls and hogs fuel footing.
 Vendors will need to supply their own tables and chairs.
 Electricity is available for an additional $5.00 (Vendors need to provide your own extension cords.)
Please note that Northwest Equine Stewardship Center respects the animals that we are charged with caring
for. We ask that vendors respect that by not bringing animal products, or products created using animals.
Thank you

For more information please reply to this ad, or see our website www.nwesc.org

Quote:
They have eaten on my young cherry trees again this year. The dogs went nuts last night and chased a pair off our property last night because they were to close to the house where they were bedding down. Both dogs have gotten good at just getting them off the property and as soon as their hooves clear the fenceline the dogs stop, bark a few more times and come back. We've had elk more this year as well. Those don't come over near the house, they just go for the greener grass out in the lower spots where mow and down to the pond or main stream for water.

Quote: Our greyhound-lab mix loves to chase deer when she finds them in our field. We caught her in the act in the middle of the day once, but we don't mind now that we know they're eating our vulnerable tree. We really need to put some sort of net over it or something.

You don't have to leave them in there to get used to it, but unfortunately it does mean that you will have to put them in every night. They either will get the idea or you will have the other coop finished first. Lol! But good for you and BF for getting it done fast! I hope your Wellie is doing better. You might be surprised at what they can survive.

Hey, thanks! It's been a ton of work, especially for him. Salma started eating a TON this afternoon and seems a lot more energetic. It's hard to know if she's just getting used to being handled so much and being in the carrier, or if she's still just somewhat low-energy. Her old self was friendly but pretty flighty and would seldom tolerate being touched at all. She had not been handled since she the day she came out of the brooder. But the point is, she's eating and she doesn't seem to have a major infection in that eye or any internal injuries. Woot! The flock is a bit disoriented, probably in part because they miss Salma (especially the two Leghorns) and/or it freaks them out seeing her in the carrier, but also because we've been outside with them all day every day, making loud noises, moving things around, changing their environment. It's probably just as stressful for them as it is for us. Haven't found any more Leghorn eggs but Gertrude the blue mutt and Maggie the GL Wyandotte are still laying big eggs every day.

By the way, does anyone know what the egg withdrawal period is on Baytril? I wouldn't be surprised if Salma starts laying again before too long, maybe? She does have a lot of feathers to replace from the attack (plus I was figuring she'd molt soon anyway, or the stress would trigger it) but as you all have said, chickens are sometimes capable of amazing things, are they not?

Well, the Building Inspector just left.
he is a super nice guy !!!
Very educational, and spent alot of time explaining what we need to do & where, what types of Hurricane ties we need, etc.
he was very impressed with our framing job, and said we have done alot that was not necessary, extra blocking & extra large headers, etc.
So, we passed with flying colors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom