Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little FYI.... Those are probably a split of the larger herd we have in our area.. A few years ago or so, people started seeing a small group on daily basis. Origanally they were in the 304 th area that is now the new Dump... They winter down here and summer up higher mostly in hills above Kapowsin.. The few multiplied into a herd numbering 40 plus.. Last year it was noted that that group has split forming a complete new group. There are now at least 5 adult bulls that are seen in the area that vi for the females. A private timber company owns the area that they are known to calf in.... By the time we see them down here the calves are pretty well weened. There's a couple of Large cattle fields on Webster Rd... The owner usually winters or sells his beef before the cold weather sets in. The Elk then move in.... Its amazing to see them because the groups will often graze close by. We usually can find them in the early mornings.. My fave thing is to watch in Rut and the young Bulls "play". They are fantastic animals...

You are right they can do a lot of damage. They are a fast moving animal in their grazing. Some of the remaining farms in our area are trying to discourage them grazing and staying here... A few have put up very Large High fences. they are trying to get the Elk to pass through another area. When It was just a few Elk it wasn't a big deal but with the growing numbers. You can imagine the pasture lost to Elk rather than to Cattle and the hoof damage to ground. The reason I learned about this was because I asked a farm I was visiting .. What the huge fences were for... they looked like they could hold an elephant.. but it was only 3 sided?? That's when I learned about what the farmer calls Detour Management.

I was raised out here and honestly never saw an elk until a few years ago. I was told that they have been here ... We just didn't see them because they had plenty of space. Now with growth they are adapting :)I was told that Fish and Wildlife are monitoring these herds.. simply because they are in a pretty populated area. I have never checked to see if that is true. I just enjoy getting my morning coffee and heading out with my camera and lens to "Shoot" a few:)

Quote:
Of course -- it was a light over dose :)

I can see your mind wasn't dimmed by the experience :p

No it was a rather enlightening experience!
tongue2.gif

Just a little FYI.... Those are probably a split of the larger herd we have in our area.. A few years ago or so, people started seeing a small group on daily basis. Origanally they were in the 304 th area that is now the new Dump... They winter down here and summer up higher mostly in hills above Kapowsin.. The few multiplied into a herd numbering 40 plus.. Last year it was noted that that group has split forming a complete new group. There are now at least 5 adult bulls that are seen in the area that vi for the females. A private timber company owns the area that they are known to calf in.... By the time we see them down here the calves are pretty well weened. There's a couple of Large cattle fields on Webster Rd... The owner usually winters or sells his beef before the cold weather sets in. The Elk then move in.... Its amazing to see them because the groups will often graze close by. We usually can find them in the early mornings.. My fave thing is to watch in Rut and the young Bulls "play". They are fantastic animals...

You are right they can do a lot of damage. They are a fast moving animal in their grazing. Some of the remaining farms in our area are trying to discourage them grazing and staying here... A few have put up very Large High fences. they are trying to get the Elk to pass through another area. When It was just a few Elk it wasn't a big deal but with the growing numbers. You can imagine the pasture lost to Elk rather than to Cattle and the hoof damage to ground. The reason I learned about this was because I asked a farm I was visiting .. What the huge fences were for... they looked like they could hold an elephant.. but it was only 3 sided?? That's when I learned about what the farmer calls Detour Management.

I was raised out here and honestly never saw an elk until a few years ago. I was told that they have been here ... We just didn't see them because they had plenty of space. Now with growth they are adapting :)I was told that Fish and Wildlife are monitoring these herds.. simply because they are in a pretty populated area. I have never checked to see if that is true. I just enjoy getting my morning coffee and heading out with my camera and lens to "Shoot" a few:)

I knew there was a herd in the area. Didn't know it had split.

Our neighbor across the road has lived there for 25+ years and will tell you stories all day. He's a really cool guy. He said that they are being monitored as well. The three summers we have been here we have seen them. They start showing up when water gets scarce elsewhere in the immediate area, then we won't see much of them during the rest of the year. There are a few bulls that wander alone. There was one standing in the middle of the Orting Kapowsin Hwy when DH was going to work a couple months ago. Just standing there staring at traffic, which was thankfully light. DH stopped for him and said he rolled down the window and asked him to step out of the way and he did.
gig.gif
He'd never seen an elk that big before. Couple weeks before that we saw someon almost hit a group of three cows crossing the Hwy near 224th in the early afternoon. Moron wasn't paying attention. Traffic had stopped the other way for them already.

We see the elk more often down through the cleared area for the high power lines at the end of the road and in the fields down there. Usually it's deer we see on this end. And coyotes. The coyotes tend to stay off the property for the most part. Our dogs dilligently mark along the fenceline up front and along a good area going down and around where I have cleared. Every now and then I'll get a call in the morning to get the gun because there is one hanging out in front of our driveway. The neighbor said he sees bear every few years, but less now that there are more houses around in the area than 10 years ago. He said there was a cougar out behind his house last winter.

One of the bald eagles is back. Saw him on Wednesday. They usually come back in fall and stick around until late spring. I like them hanging around. They perch in the neigbor next door's big snag and watch out over the big pond. I've watch them hunt ducks on the pond many times. They leave the chickens alone which I think is only because they run as soon as they see the eagles, and the eagles seem to prefer lazy circle hunting methods. The hawks don't like it here when the eagles are around so I like them being around.

Hello,

I have a question for all the people who raise silkies, how old are silkies on avg before they start laying. I have 3 that are about 6 months with no eggs .I may be getting inpatient I just do not know, any advice would be greatly helpful.
Haven't read far enough ahead to see if anyone answered you, but they can lay anywhere from 6-10 months. Sometimes longer, but that is the average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom