Wasn't sure where to put this so it's here.

cullenf27

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
I would love to compost my kitchen scraps and chicken bedding and what not. He I have no idea how to build a compost bin. So any ideas would be great and helpful. Thanks

For composting I made a 4'x4' box made out of 2x4's

Had the lumber guy cut me (12) 4 foot long pieces and nailed together 2 squares, one for the top and one for the bottom and then nailed the remaining 4 boards to connect the squares to create a box frame, then wrap just the sides with chicken wire leaving top and bottom open, when it gets full I just lift it up and move the box over to start another pile

I have seen some compost boxes created with pallets as well.

I found a lot of youtube videos on composting, they were very helpful

Or you can just start a pile off in one corner of the yard keeping it moist but not wet turning every so often.

All we have is a back wall made out of wood and a pitch fork to turn when we add to it. I even have tomatoes and squach starting out there. I'll move them when they get big enough. You can get a starer load of leaf mulch usualy for free for a city close to you and just add new stuf to one side, mixing mulch to it and water and turn.

Quote:
lol.png

I used scrap redwood and some posts that my dad already had in the ground.

As of now, it has 3 sides and is one big bin

but I am going to add a center wall (so we can have a fall and spring batch going)

and two lift up gate/doors so the chickens stop kicking everything out!

Ours is big enough to roll the wheel barrow in and out.

I just let the chickens compost everything. They do a great job for me and I just shovel out the run about every 3-4 weeks and add more leaves. That was one of the reasons I got them. And the eggs. And the chicken TV. And the laughing at their antics. And.....and........and...............

Back
Top Bottom