Wasp & Chicken Coop - Help!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by *DuckLuvR*, Apr 5, 2011.

1. *DuckLuvR*

*DuckLuvR* Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2011
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    What is a safe way to get rid of the wasp around and in my chicken coop without hurting my chickens?

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Um... Mine eat them. Lol. [​IMG]

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Sounds like the pizza-delivery boy brought some treats to the coop! But I think there are some poisons to spray at wasps, though you'll have to keep your chickens away from any poisom

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If you have any Frontline spray that is for fleas and ticks on dogs and cats, it will kill them and won't hurt the chickens even if they eat the wasps. Be sure to put the sprayer on a stream so you can get back because it doesn't knock them down like wasp spray but won't hurt the birds. Do it at night when the wasps are all there and the chickens are not moving around. Then you can go back in and pick up the dead wasps if you want.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have found someone here said 91% rubbing alchohol would work. So I went and put some in a spray bottle and I have already killed 5 nest and it evaporates quickly. This was during the day. It killed them on contact.[​IMG]

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Cooking spray will kill them too.
    It coats them and they can't breath, and it's safe for the chickens to eat

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It won't hurt chickens to eat wasps?

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I don't know anything about killing the wasps, but you can rub a bar of soap on the underside of the roof and any overhangs where wasps might build nests, and it keeps them from building nests there. I don't know why it works, but my grandfather did it to bluebird houses on a bluebird trail he had on his property and in his quail pens.

9. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Get a large tumbler and put about a half inch of dish washing soap. Fill the glass with hot water. In the evening when the wasp are on the nest throw the solution on the nest. They will drop and die. Remove nest and you are done. The soap won't hurt the birds.

10. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    There's a wasp spray based on oil of peppermint.
    I've found it a Meier & Centrella grocery.
    It has instant knockdown & you can spray from 20' away.

I use it in my barn so I don't have to worry about poison dripping on the horses.
    As long as it isn't sprayed directly on the chickens it should work for you & be safe for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by