wasp64

wasp64

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2014
North Florida
As a new member to BYC and chicken keeper, I have lots of questions. I have found this site very helpful. I have 5 hens and a rooster. Its a mixed flock. I want to get some silkies. Do silkies have to be kept separated from tbe bigger flock?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! There is a very good chance they will need to be kept separate, a lot depends on your set up and how much room the birds have, and the temperament of your individual birds. But I would be prepared to house the silkies separately.
You might want to post on or check out some of the silkie threads about it, this is a long one https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread
Another great place to check out is the Learning Center, all kinds of good articles on all aspects of poultry keeping https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

images

Welcome to BYC!

I don't keep Silkies so I can't say much about them. But they can get picked on by other larger birds, so it is best to keep them in a separate area. Make sure to trim the feathers out of their eyes as this can pose a problem with eating and drinking.

Enjoy your new adventure and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! I had to rehome my Silkies due to the other chickens picking on them, they are defenseless with the limited vision problem. Good luck to you.

My silky hen is bloody and has 4-5 eggs under her. Will she stay warm enough to incubate her eggs? Its in the 30's tonight. She just started yesterday. Her house has plastic around it and she's in a crate with hay.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Why is your silky bloody? Was she injured? Please describe in full detail/photos at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, " thread. This sounds serious.Hope she will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom