1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

waste pecans/shells?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hoping4better, Dec 1, 2010.

1. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    just cracked a couple of cups of pecans and quite a few were bad. Just curious, could I give this to my three week old chicks? or should they be fodder for the compost instead?

What about without shells?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Rule of thumb: Would you want to eat the pecans? I wouldn't feed my chickens anything that I wouldn't eat, except maybe sweet potaotes that were good, I just don't like the taste of Sweet potatoes.

3. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry, bad equals not pretty. These pecans are destined for a pie. Honestly, if I were just to sit down and crack some to eat yeah, I'd eat em. But what about the shells? Also, at this age is it ok for them to get a handful of pecan pieces?

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I sure if they eat them it will be okay. I'm not sure if a chicken will eat a pecan hull or not, but I would think they were a little young yet for the hulls if they would eat them.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    They'll eat the nuts, not the hulls though. I feed it to mine on ocassion as well. They LOVE them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by