Water and feed in the coop

@Drcallen, If you don't have the time or material to build something as nice as what @3KillerBs shows in her post above, you can use a big plastic tote on its side to accomplish pretty much the same thing.

That's what I did for a little while before I had a cover over the run. I put a heavy rock in the tote to keep it from getting knocked over, and had it positioned so that the bottom of the tote (the "back" when it's tipped on its side) was to the prevailing wind.
I don't like food and water in the coop. It takes up space and gets dumped.

My current run isn't roofed, so I asked DH to build me a feeder/waterer shelter:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-feed-and-water-shelter.1426654/#post-23481803

View attachment 2572142
That is cool. Great idea. Thank you for sharing.

@Drcallen, If you don't have the time or material to build something as nice as what @3KillerBs shows in her post above, you can use a big plastic tote on its side to accomplish pretty much the same thing.

That's what I did for a little while before I had a cover over the run. I put a heavy rock in the tote to keep it from getting knocked over, and had it positioned so that the bottom of the tote (the "back" when it's tipped on its side) was to the prevailing wind.
For now I think I will try this. Thank you for the idea.

I wouldn’t have thought of putting a rock inside. I probably would’ve cut out the side facing the ground.
I wonder... what if you cut out only 85-90% of that side so that there’s an inner edge/apron touching the ground? Then you could either bury that edge under 1-2” of soil/gravel, or drill 2 holes on each edge ( like this :|__|: but with holes on the bottom part too... I couldn’t illustrate that on my ’puter ) and use either regular tent stakes, or 10“-12” nails (with washers)— I prefer the nails, myself... the ones I’ve used are galvanized so there’s minimal rust. Hands down, best stakes I’ve ever used... I’ve used them to keep a large tarp on the ground under an Intex pool (the nails were still in the ground after the tarp had disintegrated in the sun.), to stake trees to keep them upright, & to temporarily keep lawn edging upright until enough dirt & sod could be placed. We also use them as tent stakes— when I haven’t co-op’ed them to use in the garden 😜🙃

Anyway, I’d think you would need to at least trim away the top edge on the side that will end up laying on the ground so it can lay flat and not be tipped up. If you do leave it tipped, maybe drill holes in the back/bottom corner to allow spilled water etc to drain.

If any of this doesn’t make sense, please let me know & I’ll try to explain better. ;)

This is what my son and I did. I have a back fence and a side fence and the coop so we took three pallets and put them together against the fence and coop then put a pallet on the top and secured it placed boards across the top then covered it with Linolium. The area has bird netting so the girls cannot fly out and nothing can get in. It worked great.

Thank you for your suggestion and telling me about @3KillerBs those are awesome ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20210318_171228.jpg
    IMG_20210318_171228.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210318_171217.jpg
    IMG_20210318_171217.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 5
This is what my son and I did. I have a back fence and a side fence and the coop so we took three pallets and put them together against the fence and coop then put a pallet on the top and secured it placed boards across the top then covered it with Linolium. The area has bird netting so the girls cannot fly out and nothing can get in. It worked great.

Thank you for your suggestion and telling me about @3KillerBs those are awesome ideas.
Looks really good! :thumbsup

I’m always keeping stuff: pallets, short lumber pieces, carpet squares, linoleum, foam sheets, clearance-priced pool noodles, and on & on. My family teases me ... *until* I’m able to engineer a low-budget solution to various needs—then I’m a hero.:bow (Ok, Ok it’s *possible* that might be just in my own head, lol :plbb :lau)
Quick suggestion— if you put a small bit of wood (or if you have them, shims) under the top pallet—between it and the “legs“— where I’ve circled... it will create a slight slope so that your roof will shed water to the back. You only need to lift that top edge about 1-2 inches. You could also add a longer piece under the 2x4’s that are supporting the linoleum... Any slope at all will help the water to run to the back & make the inevitable mud puddle at the entrance a little less messy.
ADFF22AB-5F28-4593-A6F1-06762E9612BF.jpeg

And to further mitigate any mud hole — & there *will* be one eventually as they scratch for any food bits that get tracked out & dropped. It’s kinda amazing how quickly they can dig a relatively deep hole:barnie... — try dumping a bucketful (or two) of gravel in front of the entry... or put down a few boards as a bridge.

This will make it a lot safer & easier for you to refill the feeders & waterers. (Did you make it so the top lifts up? I wasn’t sure... it looks like you‘d need to stoop down & reach in... maybe that’s another job for ds ;) )

I say again though, very good job! Give your son a big pat on the back & then turn around so he can give you yours.. 👍

Last edited:
Looks really good! :thumbsup

I’m always keeping stuff: pallets, short lumber pieces, carpet squares, linoleum, foam sheets, clearance-priced pool noodles, and on & on. My family teases me ... *until* I’m able to engineer a low-budget solution to various needs—then I’m a hero.:bow (Ok, Ok it’s *possible* that might be just in my own head, lol :plbb :lau)
Quick suggestion— if you put a small bit of wood (or if you have them, shims) under the top pallet—between it and the “legs“— where I’ve circled... it will create a slight slope so that your roof will shed water to the back. You only need to lift that top edge about 1-2 inches. You could also add a longer piece under the 2x4’s that are supporting the linoleum... Any slope at all will help the water to run to the back & make the inevitable mud puddle at the entrance a little less messy.
View attachment 2598015
And to further mitigate any mud hole — & there *will* be one eventually as they scratch for any food bits that get tracked out & dropped. It’s kinda amazing how quickly they can dig a relatively deep hole:barnie... — try dumping a bucketful (or two) of gravel in front of the entry... or put down a few boards as a bridge.

This will make it a lot safer & easier for you to refill the feeders & waterers. (Did you make it so the top lifts up? I wasn’t sure... it looks like you‘d need to stoop down & reach in... maybe that’s another job for ds ;) )

I say again though, very good job! Give your son a big pat on the back & then turn around so he can give you yours.. 👍
thank you so much for your suggestion I'm going to try that I think that's awesome I wouldn't have thought about the water puddling on the top and I know exactly what you're talking about and thank you for showing me exactly where to put it you're awesome thank you thank you have a happy Easter.

I keep my food and water in the coop, and additional water in their fenced pasture area during the warmer months. It really depends on personal preference and your set up. My run is a PITA to access in the winter. I can get in there if I need to, but seldom do. My new one will have better access, but I will probably still keep everything in the coop to protect it against the elements.

Back
Top Bottom