Water and Food in the coop?

Here are pics of the hanging water and feeders that I am using. They seem to work well. I also have smaller ones in the hen house that sit on blocks.

The near one is for water. The far one is for feed, it has a swivel cover to keep the chickens from landing on it.

Last edited:
Hanging for the feed. Water i elevate it, on some blocks of wood that helps but it's not perfect, i am contemplating a nipple waterer but unsure on the concept, as there are grumbles about whether they get enough water with them.

Thank you! I was looking into the hanging feeders for sure!

My chicks are still in a box, but we will put them in the coop and run in a couple of weeks. They are about 5 weeks right now. I do not plan to let them free range much so is it best to keep food in the run or the coop? I have heard that they dont like when the food is moved to different locations and it is best to keep it in one place at all times.

I keep the food in the coop away from other birds. The water stays outside. A 5 gallon bucket. It's all about convenience in caring.

My chickens don't care where the food is left one bit. I feed mine outside because, aside from laying, that is where they spend all their waking time and because dealing with mice (or rats) in the coop is a pain in the butt.

They have a hopper of feed and plenty of water available at all times. They are out in the run at sunrise and of the run mid morning to free range but since their range isn't that large (I keep them on about 1/4 acre at a time to make sure the rest of the space is given time to recover from their relentless scratching) I feed them "breakfast" and "dinner" of fermented grain dairy and what ever else we have going bad or left over mixed with crushed egg shells. They seldom eat the free feed that I leave them.

Last edited:
Very good information. I had been keeping some feed and water in the house itself, but considering the good temps we are finally having I have started leaving it outside in the run only.

Back
Top Bottom