1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water at night time

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jackie 10 hens, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Jackie 10 hens

Jackie 10 hens New Egg

Sep 12, 2013
    Im putting the chickens in the coop at night...should I put food and water in there to.... I don't lock them up until about 8 pm...and I let out at 7 am...what should I be doing at night .

Thanks Jackie10

2. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    We leave ours with water just in case they get thirsty, or the coop gets hot. :) Originally we left their food outside in the run but it began to attract raccoons, and we didn't want them getting too curious. So now we lock the food in the coop with them. [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    What the chickens are doing, sleeping. Sorry couldn't resist that. They will be sleeping at night so unless you have a owl cross in there you don't have to put food and water in there at night. I like to have water in the coop just in case I'm late leaving them out. It really depends on what you prefer to do.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It is mostly personal preference. A lot depends on your set up and when you close and open the coop in relation to when the chickens are active (not time so much since daylight hours vary by time of year). If the chickens are roosting when you are closing and opening the coop, you don't need food or water in there. If they are in the coop awake for any amount of time, especially in the morning, I would have food and water available, mine can get can get pretty cranky if they are hungry and no food available, and nowhere to go.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My girls yell when they want out of their loft. It's not an option to leave them shut up any longer than they want to be, so I trundle out of bed at 0:dark30 and go let them out of their loft. I choose not to put the food and water in their loft, as they spend very little time in there. But I do cover their FF at night to be sure the wild life doesn't get into it.

6. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    I think its important that water always be available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by