Water Belly - huge belly - Hen died and I think another has it

Thank you for that chart! They are the LARGE cysts for sure. So I have come to the conclusion that "water belly" is a reaction to abnormal somethings growing inside a chicken.

Ya know how I said I had another one with it? With I got a syringe and took out 180 cc of fluid!

But then she went downhill after. She died the next day and this is what I found inside!!! GROSS but interesting. I did not crop the pic cause I wanted you all to see the size of these tumors?? compared to the size of the hen. I don't see these on the chart :)

Good pictures, thanks for sharing! If they were floating in her belly I think those are egg yolks that she dropped into her belly instead of her repro tract. If they were in here repro tract, that's an infection of the repro tract. Either way, she probably died from a massive infection and the only way she could have been saved was an expensive surgery. And when I say expensive, it really is... friends of mine have been quoted $1500 for the surgery. Then if they survive, I think you're supposed implant a hormone device, but not sure about that.

-Kathy

I broke one open - just a fatty hard mass - but look at the layers. Oh and sorry again about the grossness. I did not have my kids with me and usually they are the ones to take the pics. I was by myself with one dirty hand and one camera hand. :)

I just looked it up on the Internet and spent over an hour watching hen surgery videos . . . yes I concur. It is salpingitis. So really nothing I could have done it looks like.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom