Water belly not improving. Is it time to euthanize?

Chickytendie

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
Frederick, Maryland
Hello, my favorite girl Java has waterbelly.

On March 6th or so I found her in the run standing straight up with a full squishy abdomen.

I drained her with a 18g needle and got a lot of dark liquid out of her.
She seemed to feel so much better after this and was perked up like her normal self and walking normally again. I gave her Tylosin in her water for 10days. And then put her back out with the flock.

A week later she was filled up again and I drained her a second time on March 18th. This time there was less liquid and it was dark yellow.

On March 24th she was once again full of liquid and waddling. I drained her a 3rd time with even less yellow liquid. I noticed an ingrown feather back there so I got that out too hoping that would solve the problem.

She’s been inside since the 18th, I’ve given her electrolytes, I’ve tried miconazole. Throughout all of this she’s maintained her appetite.

Im not sure what else if anything I can do. I feel so bad for her and don’t want to keep poking her with a needle and selfishly try to keep her alive if she is just suffering and miserable.

The last photo is a bowel movement she had about 10minutes ago.
Photos are in order 1st, 2nd, 3rd drain.
80EF3CCC-6E65-4541-8D65-33D119570A43.jpeg
B4996776-9874-4549-8C29-EA4C77E63F92.jpeg
4EF988D8-AF61-4A7D-9BF7-8984D2004646.jpeg
F66B25D4-37E5-408D-8C1D-58665C9D6961.jpeg
7C1A6AA0-0B84-4400-92B5-44DDDC9B702C.jpeg
192E85DD-0CC8-4315-94F4-6F9802CDCF93.jpeg

I usually do not drain a hen if I suspect ascites, but I did with one who was having labored breathing. I drained her 3 times over about 10 days, and she died. I felt guilty doing it the last time. I usually try to make them comfortable, and keep them eating. If they are suffering, then it is best to put them down. They will sometimes still enjoy just hanging out with the others. Some have crop problems from all of the pressure of the fluid in the abdomen. Some will get picked on by others if they suspect she is dying.

I usually do not drain a hen if I suspect ascites, but I did with one who was having labored breathing. I drained her 3 times over about 10 days, and she died. I felt guilty doing it the last time. I usually try to make them comfortable, and keep them eating. If they are suffering, then it is best to put them down. They will sometimes still enjoy just hanging out with the others. Some have crop problems from all of the pressure of the fluid in the abdomen. Some will get picked on by others if they suspect she is dying.
:hugs It's a difficult decision to make (always) :hugs

The first hen I ever had to put down had water belly.
With her it was very rapid, going from no symptoms to really bad in only three days or so.
I didn't want to drain her, as to me it seemed to be just prolonging the end.
I waited till she wasn't eating, and just sitting in a nesting box, and knew it was time.
Knowing what I do now, I would have done it a bit sooner.
How happy does she seem? Does she still love her food, can she still walk?
Go by your gut feeling, and that shouldn't be far off.
:hugs

The first hen I ever had to put down had water belly.
With her it was very rapid, going from no symptoms to really bad in only three days or so.
I didn't want to drain her, as to me it seemed to be just prolonging the end.
I waited till she wasn't eating, and just sitting in a nesting box, and knew it was time.
Knowing what I do now, I would have done it a bit sooner.
How happy does she seem? Does she still love her food, can she still walk?
Go by your gut feeling, and that shouldn't be far off.
:hugs
Thank you! I suspect Water Belly in my hen. It just became noticeable 4 days ago, and this morning she is just laying down in the run. I don't think she even went into the coop last night. It appears she cannot stand and did not eat today. I've searched online and have not been able to find how fast it progresses without treatment, until I saw your comment. I will have her put down after work today. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Back
Top Bottom