Jul 21, 2020
She is 16 weeks old. She eats organic grower (Scratch & Peck) and has a grassy area to forage in everyday. I was able to feel it and it was soft (nothing firm or warm). She seems to move fine and behave normally.

I am worried it is water belly...please help

Attachments

416bigbore

Not A Care In The World !
Premium Feather Member
Jun 11, 2020
NC
Hello, What cute little babies you have. :love I was curious about this also, we have this going on with a few of our Rouen/Pekin mix. I didn't know what this was until I seen your pictures and googled water belly and this is what I found.

Doctor 0, @Isaac 0 should be making his rounds soon and should have more info on this condition and if it can be addressed. :)

https://www.poultryhealth.ca/ascites-water-belly/

Isaac 0

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Luckily ducks don't tend to suffer from water belly as much as chickens do, and in the case of you're a bird, it just looks like a low hanging abdominal pouch, common with layers. If it was ascites, it'd be much more swollen, and "bloated" looking.

I also see you're feeding "scratch- and peck" to my knowledge, that's for formulated chickens. It may be best to switch over to a feed designed for waterfowl specifically, or for chickens/ducks, like Mazuri, All Flock feed, or Purina flock raiser.

Isaac 0

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Seems young for that too?

My experience with it was in an older hen.
I've seen it in younger hens as well, just more common with older hens. Breed and genetics can play a big role in development of the pouch.

Jul 21, 2020
Luckily ducks don't tend to suffer from water belly as much as chickens do, and in the case of you're a bird, it just looks like a low hanging abdominal pouch, common with layers. If it was ascites, it'd be much more swollen, and "bloated" looking
I also see you're feeding "scratch- and peck" to my knowledge, that's for formulated chickens. It may be best to switch over to a feed designed for waterfowl specifically, or for chickens/ducks, like Mazuri, All Flock feed, or Purina flock raiser.
Thank you! Although we plan to switch to Purina Flock Raiser once the birds are a little older Scratch & Peck is for both chickens and ducks. I have reached out to them before to confirm things like their niacin amount in the feed.

That makes me feel much better! When trying to research I was only finding information on water belly (or an oviduct problem) which was making me start to worry.

Jul 21, 2020
She is 16 weeks old. She eats organic grower (Scratch & Peck) and has a grassy area to forage in everyday. I was able to feel it and it was soft (nothing firm or warm). She seems to move fine and behave normally.

I am worried it is water belly...please help
Hello, What cute little babies you have. :love I was curious about this also, we have this going on with a few of our Rouen/Pekin mix. I didn't know what this was until I seen your pictures and googled water belly and this is what I found.

Doctor 0, @Isaac 0 should be making his rounds soon and should have more info on this condition and if it can be addressed. :)

https://www.poultryhealth.ca/ascites-water-belly/
Thank you! They are a little flock of Anconas, Buffs and a Blue Swedish.

Attachments

Top Bottom