Water belly

duckmomy

Hatching
Jul 21, 2021
This is the first time I post....
One of my chicken got a water belly.
First I sought it is a egg bound and soaked her in water with Epsom salt 3 times a day.
But I researched and couldn't feel no egg she is swollen.
I need some advise.
Thanks

This is the first time I post....
One of my chicken got a water belly.
First I sought it is a egg bound and soaked her in water with Epsom salt 3 times a day.
But I researched and couldn't feel no egg she is swollen.
I need some advise.
Thanks
Sorry to hear about your hen. I lost my darling to ascites a few months ago. I am suspecting another one. Have a look at this thread if you want to, its about the hen that I lost https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lethargic-droopy-wings-and-staying-still-hen.1466225/

By the time I found out she had ascites, it was too late. The fluid in her belly had become extremely viscous. So much so that I couldn't take it out through a syringe.

How old is the chicken? Does she still lay eggs? Ascites or water belly is a result of liver disease that may be caused by heart failure, and more commonly cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, or fatty liver disease. The fluid that comes out is yellow to amber colored. If you do a necropsy on a chicken that dies, and get yellow fluid, that is what it is. You can try to drain the hen if she seems uncomfortable or tight and having trouble breathing, by using an 18 gauge needle and syringe, or just the hypodermic needle. In post 42 of this thread, there shows an abdomen being drained:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

I completed draining 1.5 cups of fluid from my 2 year old RIR today- I had taken her to the vet a few months ago due to her belly being red and was told she had allergies and given cream. She took a turn for the worst so I did some research and discovered water belly. I understand it’s terminal but wanted to make her comfortable while I decided the best route to take. My concern is that she is only 2 years old.

I did my 5 year old on Saturday the first time and today the second time after I watched a great video. I drained the first time from her right side 2x 20cc and it drips' for hours that's normal. She feels great and I check on her tomorrow again.

Back
Top Bottom