water bucket?

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
I found of of my bantam cochins dead in the water bucket this morning 😭😭😭

I don’t think she drowned though, she was curled up in it like a nest? It was in the 60s last night so maybe cold enough if wet to be too cold?

I feel terrible. Bucket was less full than usual, yesterday I skipped refilling it for time reasons. Normally everyone gets fresh water every single day. I don’t keep a bucket around chicks but had no idea hens were a risk…my guess is she had to lean a little further in than normal and got stuck in, then wet and cold for hours (oh poor thing!)

Hate this. She was the gorgeous blue and part of a trio, her sisters are both broody. I have two of her fertilized eggs, just tucked them under her sister Sammie.

Attachments

• 8EDD905C-907A-438F-A440-D1BB0A4C9391.jpeg
    8EDD905C-907A-438F-A440-D1BB0A4C9391.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 19
So sorry for your loss. Accidents can happen with water and containers. Buckets and flower pots have been known to turn over on chickens who don’t know how to get out. I like open waterers except when chicks are very young. But I like flat pig pans of water, where the chickens can climb in to cool legs, or to drink from, but hopefully not drown.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...mAja_8E2fei7tVI_8e5AfQaawJD5nrtRoCQ1gQAvD_BwE

So sorry for your loss. Accidents can happen with water and containers. Buckets and flower pots have been known to turn over on chickens who don’t know how to get out. I like open waterers except when chicks are very young. But I like flat pig pans of water, where the chickens can climb in to cool legs, or to drink from, but hopefully not drown.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...mAja_8E2fei7tVI_8e5AfQaawJD5nrtRoCQ1gQAvD_BwE
Thank you, and thank you for sharing this item with me.

Recently saw one of those (rubber?) big bowls for a dust bath too, looks smart!

Back
Top Bottom