Water cactus for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Feb 15, 2012.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Anyone know what water cactus is? I was given a free sample by my feed store to take home to my ducks and see if they liked it as a treat. It looks like cat food and you are suppose to put it in the pond for them because it floats on water. Well I trust my feed store and they have not steered me in the wrong direction yet. I put some in there pool and they went crazy trying to catch it and really loved it. I tried to pull it up on google and can not find any info on it. All it takes me to is "how to water a cactus" and other pages like that. So does anyone actually know know this is and if it is ok for my ducks to eat? I do not want to give them anymore untill finding out more about it.

2. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I don't know but my best guess is its a common name for a variety people have where your chunks grew. There are a number of edible cactus varieties and I have heard of surviving eating "water cactus" but my google search also came up with nothing as well.

One thing to try is searching: Tortoise Treat Cactus

Hope that helps a little bit.

3. featherfinder

Thank you. All that brings me to is freeze dried cactus for turtles and other organic chunks of cactus you can buy pre packaged for turtles. The one i was given literally looks like dried cat food. Its brown and in the X shapes to. So I dont know.

4. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    X shapes. Hmmm I have no idea except it still sort of sound like tortoise food. Can you call them at the feed store and ask them for more information or a brand name?

5. featherfinder

Yes I can. I was not the one who picked up my ducks food this week so I didnt ask. Thought that it would be a little more common to find info on. Even if it does turn out to be tortoise food do you think it is ok for the ducks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by